2- ᴛʜᴇ ᴀʟᴛᴇʀɴᴀᴛɪᴠᴇ

"You're what?" my mother asked shocked as she looked at the duke.

Yes, the duke is here as soon as I arriaved from the village.

"You didn't have the permission to live here" the duke said.

"And your point is?" I replied and he looked down on me with a stern look.

He then pulled out a scroll and unrolled it to show the law.

"People who doesn't have the
permission to live on a land owned by his majesty is against the law. They will either leave or pay the price in order to live there" he reads with his fancy monocle.

"We have been living here our entire life" my father said, his jaw tightening from anger.

"And that is against the law. Now if you want to live here you have to pay or leave and find another place to stay" the tall man said and gave the scroll back to his assistant.

"We don't have that much money. Do you have any alternatives?" my mother asked.

"Good question Mrs. Choi. We do need more servants in the palace and I was hoping if little Seunghee can accept the offer" the duke said and I looked at him, shocked.

Oh my goodness. There is no way I'm working there. I heard people who work there are always lonely and can only go home twice a year. I hate being told what to do but if it's my parents it's definitely fine.

No! I do not want to be a servant!

"There is no way in hell I'm working there" I suddenly blurted out.

"And why is that?" he asked me with a confused face.

"A lot of people back in the village would kill just to work in the palace. Well mostly girls do because of the prince but that's beside the point. It's is an honor to work in the palace as grand as ours" the duke stated and I rolled my eyes.

"Well sorry to say but I'm not a village girl who's head over heels for the prince now am I? No I am not working there. Find another alternative I'm not doing your proposal" I replied and the duke looked at me amused.

"That's the only alternative we have Ms. Choi. You have no other choice but to pay or this proposal" he stated once again.

"I'll do it" My mom and dad said in unison but the duke shook his head.

"We need someone who's younger and your daughter is perfect for the job" he stated.

I sighed and looked at my parents. I have no choice anymore. Ugh I hate my life sometimes. It's so unfair.

"How much will you pay me?" I asked. Just to make sure that we're not wasting time here.

"More than you can count. Probably 10 times more than your weekly income" he replied with a smirk.

"Fine I'll do it" I said and the duke smiled.

"A very obedient girl you have here Mr and Mrs. Choi" the duke said with that smug look on his face.

Choi Seunghee, good luck!