"Kaha chali gae yeh larki? (Where has this girl gone?)" Muttering to himself, Arnav took few more steps ahead when his eyes landed on the garrage of Happy Singh. A group of children could be seen there, jumping around and making noises.

"Yahin hogi wo, usi k type ki jaga hai yeh (She must be there only. It's her type of place only.)"

With fast strodes, Arnav covered the distance and reached near the garrage. Just when he was about to step inside the small place, a voice coming from inside stopped him.

"Khushi didi, you love Arnav jija-ji alot na?" It was a child who had asked the question.

Arnav felt his heart picking up the pace and goosebumps erupted all over her body. He felt his limbs turning stiff and cold sweat beads formed on his forehead. Fear, anticipation, hope, nervousness. He could feel his eard beating in his heart. Every fibre of his body yearning to listen Khushi's answer.

"Yes! I love him a lot Bitu. He is my rajkumar." Khushi's soft, whisper like voice fell in the ears of the figure who was standing glued to the wall. Her tone was laced with so many emotions but love and hurt was extremely palpable.

Arnav felt the ground slipping from under his feet. Everything around him started spinning. He felt his stiff limbs going weak, refusing to bear the weight of his body. Staggering two steps back, he held the light pole to stop himself from falling down. Khushi's words were so unbelievable.

Was she stating the truth? Did she really mean the words? Or was she just manipulating the children? But why would she like to them? That's means she was speaking the truth!? But than what about Shayam?

Arnav felt himself going mad with the revolving difficult questions. He was so confused at that moment. Uncertainty clouding his mind and heart, stopping him to see the truth.

"Yayyy! I am so happy didi. Arnav jija-ji is so handsome and so nice. You know he even repaired my train. I like him very much." Bitu squealed again making Khushi chukle in response.

"Yes Bitu you are right. Arnav-ji is really very nice."

"And Didi!!!" Another voice squeaked.

"Han Sitara? Say what is it?"

"I am so glad that you didn't get married to that old, fat uncle Shayam Didi. He never looked good with you. You are so beautiful like a princess and he looked like an old magician. Acha hua, Arnav jija-ji came like a prince and saved you from that old fat uncle." Sitara grinned.

This time, Arnav felt a solid punch landing on his face. The impact of little girl's words was so much that he couldn't balance himself and slumped down on the floor like a dead leaf. With wide eyes and trembling body, he put a fist of his hand on his mouth trying to push back the scream which was threatening to come out.

His heart which was thudding fastly few moments back was now beating too slowly, almost like of a dead body. His mind had become too numb refusing to register any other thing.  His ears rejecting to hear any other words. Unknown to himself, two tears rolled down from his eyes on his cheeks getting lost in the collar of his shirt.

The truth had striked. Hard!

"It..it means she was telling the tr--truth that day. Kh--Khushi was speaking.. right about.. Shayam. She.. wasn't invo--involved with him! She was innocent! Shayam fed..me with lies. Khushi wasn't... having any..affa--affair with him. I..I wronged her..once again..!" Arnav stuttered to himself, drowning in the pool of guilt and shame.

Not finding the strength in him to get up, Arnav trilled down on the road outside the garrage and dropped his head on his knees. Tears were rolling down his eyes continuously. The words which he head few moments back, were ringing in his ear again and again as if desiring to knock the breath out of him. His whole body was shaking with raking sobs. At that moment, he didn't care about the fact that he was slumped down in the middle of a road. He didn't care about what will people think seeing him like this. All he could think and care about was Khushi and her innocence.

"How..how could I overlook the..truth? How can i.. doubt my.. Khushi dammit? Why didn't....I believe her? Why I.. didn't see the... innocence in....her eyes. How could I....bad mouth her? Why my tongue... didn't falter... saying all..those words to her? Was...my lo--love so weak? I failed to see...her purity!? Why? Why dammit??? All...these day I was punishing her for....no mistake of hers! And that..con--contract mar--marriage! How could i.. behave... like a beast with her? What will..I do..now? How..will I face...her? How will...I apologise... for my deeds? What..I have done?? What??"

Inside the garage, Khushi was playing with the children and laughing uncontrollably unknown to the fact that a figure was sprawled outside like a broken man, crying and drowning in the puddle of truth.

Sometimes it's too late to make things right. Sometimes we hurt others more than we realize. Sometimes a smile fade infront of our eyes. Sometimes we are the reason for the tears in someone's eyes. Never treat anyone the way you don't want to be treated. Love life and the ones around you!

 Love life and the ones around you!

********************

That's it! Hope you guys like it 😊

Do vote and comment your thoughts about it!!

Will be waiting for your review:)

You can drop your ideas and suggestions about the next drabbles. Will try to pen then down too;!