Chapter 10

"There's nothing we can do about it," Air said, glancing at Api, who was lying sideways on his bed. He was depressed of Tanah and Petir's sudden departure, and nothing had seemed to cheer him up.

With Tanah gone, there was a new president. The boxing club's members suddenly wasn't as motivated. Tanah was the lifeblood of the club. With him out of the picture, they were shells without a soul. Nobody went to the meetings anymore.

That included Api.

All his life, he was isolated. He was treated as a freak. He'd worked so hard to break his similarities from Air, and Tanah showed him the way.

Api had never realized how much of an impact Tanah had made in his life. He was the parent that he never had.

"You'll get over it," Air comforted. "As you said, it's not like Tanah will cut off anyone just randomly."

Her brother gave her grumbles as a response. Sighing, Air left the room to meet up with Daun for her training.

* * *

Tanah had the mind to bust out some curse words at this type of moment, but all he could think of was the ever-so cliché gosh darns. He'd never cursed in his life, but this would be the perfect predicament to break some stereotypes.

He was an idiot. No wonder both Cahaya and Petir mentioned that he was a dead heavy sleeper. With the previous endeavours, he hadn't caught up with much rest. And he was dead asleep on the plane shortly after they'd took off.

When he woke up minutes ago, he noticed that they were in an alien prison, with dark purple energy barriers as their containment units. Petir was on the opposite chamber, just across a corridor.

She was already awake. Her eyes were on him, her glare colder than anything in creation. Her right eye was abnormal. It wasn't brown, but it was glowing scarlet.

Tanah's heart sunk.

"What happened?" he asked. "What did they do to you?"

Petir ignored his questions. She was hugging her knees, remaining at the darkest corner of her cell.

Tanah tried to reach out, but before his hand could touch the barrier, Petir spoke up.

"It's electrified. Don't bother." Her voice was barely audible, but Tanah caught it.

He retracted his hand.

"I'll get you out of here," he promised.

Petir buried her head in her knees.

* * *

"Why in the name of God are you here again?"

"Because it felt like you're sad! I can't find Api, so I'm here to keep you company."

Cahaya sighed in exasperation. All he wanted was a peaceful moment with the company of books and books solely. He had yet to discharge from the hospital, which led to this airhead's misconception of whoever's in the hospital must be lonely mindset.

The genius shut his book. "Fine. What do you want to do?"

"I don't know!" Angin grinned.

Cahaya's face was introduced to his palm. From the way things are seeming, they'll be reuniting quite frequently.

* * *

Air helped Daun in her yoga positions. When they were taking their fifteen-minute break, the young gymnast in the making swung her legs on the park bench and asked Air, "So where did big brother Tanah go?"

The long-haired female capped her water bottle. "I don't know. He didn't say."

"Why did he leave?" Daun asked innocently, her eyes so big it might as well been glowing.

Air's back started to sweat. She was used to dealing with Api's innocence, but this was Daun she was talking about. At least Api could deal with it. But when it comes to Daun? She wasn't so sure. Besides, she'd promised Angin that she'd protect Daun, and that included the purity of her mental state.

"I don't know, honestly," Air confessed. "Maybe it's just a vacation."

Daun nodded, her curly hair swishing as her head moved.

"Hey, Daun?" Air said. "If you have curly hair, why doesn't Angin?"

Daun turned to her, pulling a strand of her hair. "Oh, this? This isn't natural. I thought it looked poofy so I got Angin to help me do it."

"Angin can use curlers?"

"Yep!"

Air shuddered at the thought of that clumsy wind manipulator braiding Daun's hair. Pushing the thought aside, she returned to her training with their gymnastics.

* * *

"Look at that freak. He looks so weak! Why don't we get some lunch money from him, huh?"

He looked down and ignored those voices. External voices he can drown out, but the voices in him were telling him to die.

It was troublesome. He was a burden to everyone. Still, when he looked at his sister's silhouette, he knew he had to protect her, no matter how pathetic that wish may seem.