Chapter 1

"What's that?" Air read the form she'd snitched from Api's back pocket. The guy wasn't sharp when he was troubled, and Air knew that as much as she knew the softest side of the pillow. She narrowed her eyes. "The boxing club? You got in?"

Api yelped. He turned to retrieve the paper, but Air dodged his attempts and awaited his answer.

He groaned. "Yeah! I did. You gonna stop me?"

Air sighed. Sure, she was always worried about him returning with injuries — god knows whether if he'll be back in one-piece next time — but she also hated seeing him unable to do what he likes. Growing up with him was eventful, but he always had a knack for violence.

"No," Air said, handing the form back to him. "Just be careful."

Api blinked. "You're agreeing – just like that?"

"Whatever. As long as you don't bother me, I'm fine."

He beamed and tried to embrace Air, but she ducked again and returned to her daily hour of calm stretching and yoga.

Api whooped and began to fill in the form.

Three seconds later, he accidentally ripped the paper in half and asked Air for help.

The next day, Api journeyed to the senior's block to Tanah's class. Air had forced him to fix his problems himself, which resulted in him hastily taping the papers back and ripping the tape because he wrote too hard. When Tanah received the form he gave to Api the day before, it was measly shreds held together by an orchestra of tape.

"What happened?" Tanah squinted to read Api's messy handwriting. As if his handwriting wasn't messy enough, the paper's condition could rival a curtain shredded by the most aggressive feline on the world. As long as he lived, this was the first Tanah had ever witnessed.

Api chuckled nervously and turned away. "Accident!"

Tanah ruffled his hair. "Okay. Whatever you say. You're accepted." He placed the tattered paper into a file. "Our club's meeting time is every Sunday from 7a.m. to 5p.m.. Are you okay with that time?"

"Of course!" Api couldn't be more bored on Sundays. The gym was closed and all he could do is stay in his dorm with Air. Unless they had the extra cash to go out to have lunch, they wouldn't go out too much. With their expenses and Api's stubbornness to visit the gym at every waking moment, they had no luxury money to spend. Now that he's part of the official club itself, they could use that money to buy some stuff they want. Mostly snacks on Air's account.

Tanah nodded. "Alright. Welcome to the club. If you're late, you have to run three rounds around the school under ten minutes. If not, you're to clean up the place after the meeting. If you don't have a proper reason when you're absent, you have three chances before you're kicked out of the club. Is that clear?"

Api only heard half of it. "Clear!" The reasons he wasn't paying attention was because of two factors: a) he had a short attention span; b) Tanah's bento looked really appetizing. And pray tell why does a boy bring bentos? Don't girls do that? Anyway, it looked like a Gordon Ramsay meal, despite being in a red lunch box.

The guy sitting next to Tanah looked towards them. "Ay, Tanah, who's the kid?"

Api growled. "I'm not a kid!"

The guy snorted. "Yeah. Whatever."

Tanah chuckled lightly. "Cahaya, this is Api. He's the newest member of my club."

Cahaya scanned him up and down. "He doesn't look like much."

"WHAT DID YOU SAY?" Api demanded.

Tanah placed his hand on Api's shoulder. "Calm down. He's like that towards everyone. Don't take it personally. He's actually pretty nice." He turned to Cahaya, a dark aura emitting from him. "Right?"

Cahaya held his hands up and backed off. "... right."

Tanah returned to Api and smiled. "That's all! See you this Sunday at the school gym!"

Api nodded and returned to his class. The day passed relatively quickly, as his mind drifted off to the wonders of the club he would experience only a few days later. When the school bell rang, the first thing he did was to speed to the gym as fast as he could, and stared training his head off. If he was going to join, he'll be the very best. There's no way he could let someone else beat him in something that he's good at.

The receptionist was surprised when he didn't use his membership card, but the official boxing member pass. She adjusted her glasses and muttered, "Whole world's gone mad..." while shuffling the newspapers in her hands.

He repeated this routine every day, neglecting his homework completely. Teachers berated him for his homework that somehow went MIA. He fell asleep in classes, and even got last place in PE because his whole body was sore from that workout.

At this point, not even Air could help him. She knew how exhausted he was, and she didn't want to push it, even if he could get himself in trouble. Through Api's club contacts on his member card, he called the club president that Api may need a break off from his first club meeting due to overexerting himself. The president was nice enough to allow it, but he told Air to tell Api to meet him at the gym on Monday.

At Sunday, Air's prophecy came true. Api was sore all over and he can't even leave the bed without falling flat on his face. She sighed and took care of him for the day, even when he's trying to get out of the dorm to the gym. She hit his head every time he tried to escape.

Api sulked the entire night, much to Air's dismay. She plugged earphones in her ears and ignored his groans and cries.

When Api stumbled into the gym on Monday, expecting a scolding from the president, but whoever greeted him surprised him. Not only Tanah was standing there, but Cahaya was too. Both of them were sitting by the deserted locker room waiting for him.

Api shifted uncomfortably. "You're the president?" He gestured to Cahaya.

Cahaya scoffed. "President, yes," he agreed. "But I'm the president of the Science Club. Tanah, here, is your president."

Tanah smiled, but it held a silent, menacing aura. It was scolding, and it made Api feel guilty the moment they held eye contact.

"I hear from your sister than you've been neglecting your studies," Tanah started, still smiling. Api felt his soul jump off a cliff and had just committed suicide. Tanah had that affect on people. "From tomorrow onwards, meet me at my class after school. If you don't get your grades up, I'll revoke your gym privileges."

Api spluttered. "But—but that's not fair! What does boxing have to do with math? Do we bore our opponents to death with history?"

"We're still in school," Tanah said. "It's for your own good. Cahaya, here, is going to help."

"Him?" Api pointed at him. "How smart can this guy be? He just looks like a brainless pretty boy who can't even tie his own shoes!"

Cahaya rose. "Did you call me dumb?"

Tanah coughed. "Api, meet Cahaya. He's the smartest teen on the world and had led a winning streak in any intelligent contests. He's also the Vice-President of the Detective and the supervisor of the Archery club."

Api gawked.

Cahaya snorted.

"Anyway," Tanah says, shouldering his bag. "Good luck with your studies."