CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN | NEW MOON

Começar do início

The redhead grabbed her plastic comb, combing it through her hair. Bringing out the knots and burrs that bundled together, she dipped the end of her comb on water and grasped the nearest scissors. She went layer by layer going through her hair to the point her hair feel loosely to the tops of her shoulders. Edythe smiled seeing her hair was short now. This is what she needed, she needed a change.

The Swan girl moved to her closet pulling on a pair of black skinny jeans with a red plaid button but shirt with a white spaghetti strapped shirt underneath. She grabbed the sleeves of her plaid shirt, she rolled up the sleeves and buttoned it pass her elbows. She pulled on her simple brown leather ankle boots with a two inch heel and buckled strap to make it tighter around her foot. She stretched her limbs walking out of her room grabbing her purse upon leaving her room.

"Eddie, Bella is about to get off work. Head out and get her" Charlie called from downstairs. The redhead darted down the stairs grabbing her sisters Chevy keys and left out the front door to Bella's truck. She slid into the truck. She strapped her seat belt on and peeled out of the driveway towards Bella's workplace.

The doors slid open to let Bella out into the rain. She hunched over inside her jacket as she dashed for her truck. The rain hammering against her hood sounded unusually loud, too, but soon the roar of the engine drowned out everything else. Edythe simply drummed her fingers over the leather steering wheel watching Bellla as her sister was coming over, she began driving mindlessly in silence with her mind somewhere else.

It was dark, like dusk on a cloudy day, with only enough light to see that there was nothing to see. Edythe cut the engine, which was groaning in a pitiful way after idling for so long, and stepped out into the drizzle. The cold rain dripped through the Swan sisters hair and then trickled across their cheeks like freshwater tears. It helped to clear my head. Edythe blinked the water from her eyes, staring blankly across the road.

"You cut your hair" Bella said after a moment of silence as they glanced to one another with small smiles "Yeah I did. Needed a change" The redhead told her sister for a moment. "Looks like Eddie" Bella said with a smile.

"Thanks Bells"

After a minute of staring, Edythe recognized where she and Bella  was. She'd parked in the middle of the north lane of Russell Avenue. She and Bells were standing in front of the Cheneys' house Bells truck was blocking their driveway and across the road lived the Markses. Edythe knew she needed to move Bella's truck, and that they ought to go home. Obviously it was wrong to block the drive way of Benz Cheney's house.

As Edythe took a deep breath in preparation to move, a sign in the Markses' yard caught Bella's eye, with a small noise parting her lips that had Edythe looking in the direction where her sister was looking. It was just a big piece of cardboard leaning against their mailbox post, with black letters scrawled in caps across it. The dilapidated motorcycles rusting in the Markses' front yard beside the hand-printed 'for sale-as is" sign were serving some higher purpose by existing there. Edythe eyed her sister who had this flicker of awe in her eyes.

Reckless and stupid. Those were Charlie's two very favorite words to apply to motorcycles. Charlie's job didn't get a lot of action compared to cops in bigger towns, but he did get called in on traffic accidents. With the long, wet stretches of freeway twisting and turning through the forest, blind corner after blind corner, there was no shortage of that kind of action. But even with all the huge log-haulers barreling around the turns, mostly people walked away. The exceptions to that rule were often on
motorcycles, and Charlie had seen one too many victims, almost always kids, smeared on the highway.

He'd made the sisters promise before they were ten that they would never accept a ride on a motorcycle. Even at that age, neither of them didn't have to think twice before promising. Edythe twirled the ends of her hair around her finger in thought before she noticed Bella sloshing through the rain to the Markses' front door and rang the bell.