•T W E N T Y - O N E•

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Are you sure he wants to see me?"

Romain waved at someone in the corridor. "Of course he does! He waits downstairs for a stroll in the gardens. It is a tad warmer than usual, and he thought some air would do you both some good."

Sarah arrived, dipped into two brief curtsies, then threw a cloak over Prudence's shoulders. "The King had me fetch this for you," she said, placing an oversized hat atop Prudence's curls. She then tightened the coat over Prudence's crimson bodice and fastened it at the collar. "I am to chaperone, so if you need anything, let me know."

Romain took Prudence's arm, waving Sarah out of the way. "Go and warn Cornelius we will be there shortly, would you?" His majestic tone inspired such authority, and to view Sarah shimmying off without a word proved how revered he was.

Prudence, the Princess, slumped at his side, not a single regal thing about her. She felt like the cowering teenager she'd been after running from Torrinni, and she craved to throw a fit and refuse to meet with the man she despised most of all.

"Has Sarah been treating you well?" Romain squeezed her arm. "I was unsure about her at first, as she can be a bit over-the-top."

Prudence stared at the wooden floors, allowing her brother to guide her. "She is good at anticipating needs. I am happy enough with her, thank you."

They glided down the cerulean steps, and once they reached the bottom, he tugged her farther. Prudence resisted the pull, trying to slow their pace.

"Sister?" Romain blinked at her, cocking his head. "Is something the matter?"

"Actually, yes." She was in no hurry to greet the Duke, and had rehearsed her speech most of the previous evening, bracing to confront her brother about her horrid fiancé. "Why Cornelius? Of all the men in the country, what made Father, and later you, choose him?"

Romain opened his mouth, squinted, then snapped his lips shut. He shook his head, then peered ahead as he tightened his grip on her arm and sped up.

"I do not understand," he said at last, taking them towards the Grand Corridor, where they would exit to the gardens. "Is he not handsome enough? Most women in Giroma fawn over him."

Prudence muffled a snort by coughing. "I am not most women." She side-glanced at Romain. "Are you truly unaware of how cruel he was to me in Totresia? Why continue this pretense and make me marry him?"

When they neared the giant glass windows and matching doors, Romain stopped and spun her to him. Sun blared down on the marble balcony outside, and its glistening reflected on his face—which would have otherwise been red with anger.

"Your marriage will bring him to heel." He placed his hands on her shoulders. "He is unpleasant now, yes; but once he is satisfied and thinks he has a more important role, which is what his heart desires, then he will be a good husband to you. I swear it. If he is not, he will risk death." His right eye twitched, but he maintained Prudence's gaze. "You were promised to him at birth, and I will not modify Father's will. Cornelius has wished to fulfill this for many years."

Prudence backed out of his reach. "And you believe him?"

He yanked her to the doors. "I have known him all my life; you, I have known a few months. I love you, and you are my blood, and I will do everything to protect you, but this is happening. You are almost twenty-two, unwed, shamed from your past in Totresia. So like it or not, Cornelius will be your husband. Despite this cruelty you mention, he wants to wed you. Is that not delightful?"

Before she could utter a loud "no," the doors opened, and a blast of glacial air blew over her cheeks, silencing her into acceptance, reminding her Romain had sealed the deal.