xvi.

"i never realized how many things i owned until today," kathryn claire grumbled as she taped a box shut. she stopped, surveying the cardboard boxes containing all of her belongings that she couldn't take with.

chase chuckled, "we made good time packing but you're gonna have a hell of a time trying to unpack."

she shrugged, "that's a future me problem."

"that's one way to look at it," chase agreed. "that didn't take long at all."

"thanks to you. seriously, you didn't have to give up your off week to help me." kathryn claire felt bad, off weeks in nascar weren't a common occurrence and he was wasting his on her.

"it's been really nice," he confessed, "if i was in charlotte, i'd have been roped into media stuff and i really hate that stuff."

she raised an eyebrow, "why?"

he shrugged, "it makes me feel like a trick pony. they all ask me the same questions too, so what's the point." he shrugged again, "i know it comes with racing at the cup level for hms but damn, i just want to race."

"is that why you tend to come off as having less personality than a stick?" kathryn claire joked, "makes sense."

chase shot her a dirty look, "i do not."

"but you do. you are much more interesting in person," she reassured him.

chase cocked his head, "thanks, i think."

they worked quietly for a moment, "i was mostly kidding," kathryn claire apologized, "but you do come off kind of dry in interviews. but the fact that you hate them definitely makes sense."

"i knew you were kidding, don't worry," chase cracked a smile. "so i was thinking we could fly to charlotte on thursday?"

she shook her head, "chase, i really can't afford a last minute plane ticket." she didn't want to tell him but she was also deathly afraid of flying so she was praying that he would change his mind about flying.

"i flew myself," chase deadpanned.

kathryn claire's eyes widened, "you fly?" the thought of being in a small plane made her stomach churn.

chase noded, "everybody in my family flies. sure beats the alternatives."

kathryn claire nodded, her eyes still wide as she tried to think of an excuse to get out of flying, "my car..." her voice trailed off.

chase shook his head, "i was thinking you should probably store that too. we're going to fly to most of the tracks and usually, we have a rental car."

she swallowed hard, nodding slowly. she kicked herself for not thinking about having to fly. her fear of flying had come after the car accident. her aunt had insisted that she spend the summer with her in california. it had only been a few weeks since the accident and turbulence had plagued the flight. with every bump, the plane had made she panicked more, her mind replaying the crash over and over. by the time the plane had landed, she was nearly in a catatonic state. a flight attendant led her off the plane and helped her find her aunt. needless to say, her aunt had driven her back to michigan.

"what's wrong?" chase asked, studying her intently.

"i... uh..." tears sprang up in her eyes, threatening to spill over. she plopped down on the floor, trying to figure out what to say to him.

chase moved next to her, grabbing her hand, "what's going on? talk to me." his voice was soft, concerned.

"i'm afraid of flying." she whispered, "dumb, i know but after the crash--" chase stopped her.

"you don't have to explain," he reminded her. "we can figure something else out." chase ran a hand through his hair as he searched the ceiling for an answer.

kathryn claire searched the ceiling for an answer too. she knew that she should get on a plane again, prove to herself that she's not the same scared girl she was the last time. "it's been a couple of years," she conceded, "maybe it wouldn't be so bad."

chase gave her a sideways glance, "you don't have to say that for my sake. we can figure it out."

she gave chase's hand a reassuring squeeze, "what better way to get over my fear than to have somebody i know and trust as the pilot?"

chase still looked unsure, "i can figure something else out," he offered again. "you really don't have to fly if you don't want to."

"the last time i flew, it was right after the crash. there was a lot of turbulence and i just couldn't handle it. as much as the thought of getting on a plane makes me want to vomit, i need to know that i can face my fear, that i can be okay."

chase nodded, "okay. the flight will be less than two hours so if you're still afraid of flying, at least it's not cross country. but if you're still afraid once we get to charlotte, you need to tell me so we can arrange other ways to get to the track, okay?"

she nodded, leaning into chase, "thank you."

chase wrapped his arm around her, kissing the top of her hair, "i'd do anything for you."