xiv.

"so this is my apartment," kathryn claire flipped on the light. "i wouldn't have been offended if you would've stayed at a hotel or in your motorhome," she reminded him.

chase shrugged, "it's no big deal, we can get an earlier start tomorrow."

she nodded, "thanks for letting me sit on your pit box and sorry you ran out of gas at the end."

chase smiled at her, "get used to it and that's michigan for you."

they stood in the middle of her living room, kathryn claire suddenly aware of how small it was, the way the shag carpet was frayed in some places, the dull paint. "sorry it's not much," she mumbled.

"hey," chase grabbed her hands, "it's perfect. i feel a little bad that you're giving it up for me."

she shrugged, "i just have one more semester so i'm not to worried, wherever i end up, i'll make do."

chase nodded and they stood there for a moment before kathryn claire shifted uncomfortably, "so i'll take the couch because it's really uncomfortable. i'll show you to my room."

chase shook his head, "there's no way i'm taking your bed."

kathryn claire put her hands on her hips, eyes defiant, "lay on that couch and tell me you want to spend a couple of nights on it, especially after being in your car for four hours today."

chase plopped onto the couch, a loud "oof," coming from him as he hit the sofa. "you really weren't lying." he laughed as he sat back up. "how big is your bed?" he asked.

kathryn claire scrunched up her nose, "it's a queen, why?"

chase grinned, "i'll just bunk with you."

kathryn claire's heart started pounding. she had never shared a bed with a man before and certainly not somebody that looked like chase or made her dizzy when he was in close proximity. "are you sure? i can take the couch, it's really no big deal."

chase shook his head, "there's no way i could sleep knowing how uncomfortable this couch is. it's fine, we're adults. can i take a shower?"

she nodded, thankful that she'd have a few minutes to pull herself together, "let me show you the bathroom," she walked down the hall, pointing to the bathroom. "my bedroom is the other door in the hallway, that's where i'll be."

chase dropped his duffel bag on the bathroom floor, "okay. i'll be quick."

kathryn claire nodded as she made her way to her bedroom. thankful that she had just cleaned her room, she pulled out an old t-shirt and a pair of pajama shorts. she changed into them quickly before plopping onto her bed.

she couldn't help but laugh at the situation that she was in. never in a million years did she think that she would befriend somebody who had randomly messaged her on twitter, a meaningful friendship at that. she especially never would've guessed that said random person would be chase freakin' elliott or that he would invite her to travel with him the rest of the summer and manage to get her an interview with the rick hendrick all within an hour and a half of meeting her in person.

fate is funny. kathryn claire surmised as chase walked into her room. she sucked a breath as he sat next to her, the musk of old spice enveloping her.

"ready for bed?" she asked. "i only have my comforter so we're going to have to share."

"are you a blanket hog?" chase asked, smirking.

she shrugged, "i wouldn't know. you'll have to tell me in the morning."

he nodded knowingly, "which side do you sleep on?"

kathryn claire laughed, "the middle."

"oh boy." chase chuckled, "i'll take the right side, you can have the left."

"deal." she pulled back the comforter and tossed a pillow to what had been deemed chase's side. she crawled under, facing inward as chase settled in. "who's going to shut the light off?" she giggled.

chase let out an exaggerated sigh, "i guess i will." he flipped back the covers, taking a few strides across her bedroom, shutting the light off. he slid back into bed, his face mere inches from hers.

with chase's face illuminated by the soft glow of the moonlight, kathryn claire admired his long lashes that fluttered over his almond-shaped eyes. without even thinking, she let her fingertips run over his jawline. he was so handsome and here he was, in bed with her. it still felt surreal, like she was going to wake up tomorrow and find out that this was all just a dream.

chase shifted a little, snapping kathryn claire out of her thoughts, she quickly pulled her hand away. "sorry," she muttered, embarrassed.

chase smiled, "don't apologize."

"this feels so surreal, like a dream," she murmured. "like i'm going to wake up and this is all going to be a dream."

chase brushed stray hair out of her face, "i'm still going to be here in the morning."

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

Not gonna lie, the rest of this is going to be a super slow burn so don't say I didn't warn you