Chapter 23 ~ Perceptions

Start from the beginning

"Me? You know what I always want to do." He combed his hair using his fingers. Geez, he looked hot doing that. The way his eyebrows knitted together and eyes shimmered slowly, green and pure like the mixture of ocean and sky.

"Surprise me?" I guessed.

"Wrong," he said and sat up. He made me laugh.

"Then what is it, Sir?" I raised a brow.

"Just be with you." He sounded serious. "It is all I need."

My voice left me again and I just wanted to stare at him every second of everyday, all my life.

He chuckled. "I know what you are thinking. I'm not that hot."

"Hot? Stop being so arrogant will you?" I turned the lamp off and sat beside him.

"I am being humble can't you see?" He moved farther to give me space.

"Not just because there's this empathy link between us doesn't mean you can hack my thoughts for your own benefits."

"But admit it, it is what in your mind."

I stared at him. "Stop defying me."

"Marvin, you're so hot and handsome. I just want to kiss you all day. I know it's what you want to say now." He mimicked my voice, but obviously failed in laughter. It was like the voice of a too flirty teenager.

I crossed my arms and said, "I think it is otherwise."

He cupped my face and brushed his thumb from my jaw line to my lip. For all I know he would kiss me next, but instead he said, "No, not until you admit it first."

"Stay away from me." I slapped his chest and pushed him back before I lay my back and placed my hands flat on my stomach. He did not obey and just moved closer. He lay by his side and supported his weight using his elbow, facing me.

The stars glowed and glowed in the middle of this dark room. "Should I join the short-story contest?"

"You won't lose anything if you'll try." He ran the back of his hand on my cheek. But it I would not win, I would lose something. I would waste the effort of writing a short story I submitted.

"Hey," he blocked my view of the stars by peeking his head above me. "If you ever think it will go to waste, well, it will not really." He smiled and returned to his original position. "Everything you do now will contribute to the stories you are to tell once you are far far ahead, and I believe it will not take long."

"Thanks," I faced him, imitating his position earlier when his arms were supporting his weight.

"So, to answer your question, I think you should. It isn't late yet, you still have time to submit it tomorrow."

I went to my desk, took a pen and opened my laptop. "The theme is about world classic literature." The blue flyer could hardly be read without any light on except from my laptop. The mechanics were to write a short side story, prequel or sequel about one of the classic literatures – novels, epic, etc. – in less than 500 words. I wondered what story I should take.

My choices were broad; love stories like Romeo and Juliet, Ibong Adarna, Pride and Prejudice... But I wanted to do something different. I wanted to make something I would not forget.

Whatever I wrote, it would be a part of me. Same as with what I had read. So I searched for other classical novels, epics and legends to begin a story with. My eyes narrowed as I read the objectives and components of the comtest. I turned the lamp on and saw Marvin smiling.