Chapter Nineteen

🌕

Guilt.

Why does guilt haunt you?

Perhaps because you know you did something bad.

Something that can mess with what you have —something good.

Guilt is an emotion that clings to me. Why could it not vanish like the rest of my emotions?

Guilt means I still have some humanity in me.

My feet drag on the concrete sidewalk as I walk home.

What the hell was wrong with me? I had no control over myself.

My mind is far away but it seems as my body functions fine without it. I walk up the steps and into the apartment building.

As I make it to my apartment I can hear laughter but not just any laughter it's Hannah's laugh.

My hand wraps around the cold door handle and I push the door open. Mason and Hannah are sitting at the kitchen table. Mason's hand is in the air with a fry between his fingers making airplane noises as the fry zooms towards a hysterically laughing Hannah.

Hannah's eyes dart towards me and she starts bouncing in her seat her hands up wanting me to carry her.

"Awe Hannah I missed you!"

The words leave my lips without me realizing it. Her bottom lip pouts out. Mason turns to face me and I give him a small smile.

"Hello," he says and turns back to Hannah, "Are you done?"

She nods and looks at me once again. Her big eyes locked on mine.

"Do you want to watch some television?" I ask Hannah.

She stands on the chair and nods at me jumping off the chair but before her feet could touch the ground Mason's hand scoops her up midair.

"Don't do that!" He scowls at her. "You're going to get hurt."

Hannah frowns at him looks at me as if waiting for my backup.

I shrug and Hannah grumpily climbs out of Mason's embrace and walks over to the couch.

I smile at Mason and follow her, we sit down and I turn the television on. Hannah climbs into my lap and I bounce her around a bit as commercials play.

The buzzer sounds and Mason walks over to it, "Yes?"

"Hey, it's Wes open up."

Mason buzzes him in and a minute later he is at the door.

"Wow that was fast," Mason comments as he opens up the door for him.

"Hey," Wes waves at us as he walks inside and takes a seat on the other end of the couch and Hannah appreciates the space he gave us.

"Wow, dude. I wonder what you've been up to," Mason says to Wes giving him a quick wink.

"What are you talking about?" I ask.

Wes looks just as confused as I am.

"Wes has been out playing," Mason replies and then points to Wes' back.

His shirt covers most of it but the top of his collar isn't long enough to cover his scratch marks.

Oh crap!

"Oh," Wes laughs and scratches the back of his head, "you know it. She had some nails on her."

Mason high fives Wes as he comes and sits next to me and Hannah. They keep throwing jabs at each other as their male hormones take over.