"You don't kill a magician like me that easily you know," he chuckled to lighten the atmosphere, "I tend to bounce back a lot."

"Very true," said a familiar voice from the doorway, "but you outdid yourself this time, Jeon."

Both boy and girl whipped around quickly. Rosé tore her hand out of Jeongguk's and stood up hastily, dusting her dress.

"Lady Hecate." she murmured, bowing reverently.

"Now there, is a prime example of respect," Hecate said approvingly as she glided in gracefully, almost as if she were floating instead of walking. "Some of us would do well to take notes," she added pointedly looking at Jeongguk who was more interested in the aroma that suddenly filled his room.

She was accompanied by a server carrying a tray with a plate of food and a golden goblet. The server laid the tray down on Jeongguk's desk before bowing and scurrying out.

"Jeongguk?"

He tore his eyes away from the food sitting tantalisingly out of reach. "Hmm?"

Rosé was backing out of the room. "I'll leave you to talk, I'm sure you'd like to have some time together—"

"On the contrary, sweetheart, I'd like you to stay here too. There are some things I have yet to discuss—"

"Sweetheart?" Jeongguk spluttered. Since when did Hecate address anyone with an endearment?

"Is this because she calls you Lady?! The discrimination—"

"Jeon please, not now," Hecate shook her head but a fond smile was taking over her features when she continued, "if you wish for me to address you as sweetheart, I'm sure I can oblige—"

"No thanks!" he retorted, disgusted, "I don't want anything to have to do with you! You...you almost let her die! You never lifted a finger against Eris! I don't want to be associated with the Gods, you're all a spineless cowardly lot and if I hadn't broken out of prison Rosé would be dead and everything would be dead and—"

"Kookie." Rosé was suddenly next to him again, taking his arm. "It's okay, I'm okay—"

"But I'm not okay!" he said in frustration. "You don't know them Rosie, they...they threw me in jail and their pig-headed King even said you had to die! And he didn't want to save your world either, how can he be so heartless—"

"I know," Rosé said quietly, "they told me everything. I know."

He glanced at Hecate sceptically, who had been watching in silence.

"How long have I been out anyway?" he grumbled at length. He glimpsed pink skin, soft as a newborn baby's, underneath the bandages.

"A month."

"What?"

"It was quite an arduous process to revive you," Hecate recalled, "Zeus' lightning bolt had all but destroyed you. Thanatos all but rioted when you didn't die, he seemed really eager to have you. Your nerves, your blood vessels, your bones, your innards and organs, your skin...you looked like a piece of charred meat."

"Like that rack of ribs Poseidon barbecued?"

"Worse."

"Then like the poor boar Aphrodite destroyed that one time cooking for Haphaestus? That was pretty bad."

"Worse."

Jeongguk sucked in a breath. "Yikes. And you saw me like that? Embarrassing." he muttered in Rosé's direction.

"I don't know how you lived," Rosé said in hushed tones, "you were dying, in my arms...and I was helpless to do anything... my father is the god of healing but I..." Her grave voice made him look up, dropping his playful tone. He vaguely remembered her crying and weeping in the pit next to him, and instinctively took her hand, squeezing it reassuringly.