Chapter 3: The Crazies (New Version)

One Week Later

Ryan

M: You're too funny!

M: Did you take your exam yet?

R: Not yet, I'm waiting in class. Hopefully

he won't show up so we don't have to

"What's up?" I glanced up at Logan, peering over my shoulder as he grabbed a seat.

"Nothing much." My attention reverted back to texting Mel.

"Is that the chick you've been on the phone with every night?"

"It hasn't been every night, man." I shook my head, dodging his accusing look.

"Dude. It's every night. I'm keeping track because I'm losing sleep."

I narrowed my eyes, "Please. Like you haven't kept me up at night before."

"Not consecutively." He retorted.

I shook my head, letting out a dry laugh, "Well, yeah, it's the same girl."

"Does she go here?" Logan prompted, fully invested in my relationships.

"Nah, she goes to Penn State." I clicked my pen, feeling nervous for some reason.

"Penn State- Pennsylvania?"

I laughed when his eyebrows rose into his forehead, "The one and only."

"How'd you start talking to her then?"

"We spent New Year's in New York with some mutual friends."

Logan's face lit up, "How was it? Jen and Stacy went to the city too. You should've met up."

"It was good. Crazy, but good. Stacy and Jen are a bit much for the group I went with."

The lecture hall's door flew open as Professor Carter threw a stack of papers on his desk and began unpacking, "Hopefully, you guys won't fail this exam like the last one." His voice carried through the room. No one made a sound as the professor handed the exams to his teaching assistants, and they began distributing them.

Halfway through the exam, a muffled shout reached our room. Heads turned to the door as another shout sounded through. The door swung open, "It's nice of you to finally join us-" The professor's voice slowed at the sight of Jen stalking into the room with-

"Is that blood?" Logan whispered next to me.

What the fuck.

As students began whispering, Jen's attention snapped towards us, her eyes calculating and analyzing who was speaking. Professor Carter pushed his glasses up with a shaky hand, his demeanor completed changed, "Excuse me, but I'm going to have to ask you to-"

Jen cocked her head slightly before lunging at the professor. Her face sunk into his neck before coming up for air with a mouth full of blood and skin.

I blinked. My hands balled into fists as I tried to figure out what I just saw. What the hell was going on?

Screams filled the air, bringing Jen's attention back to her audience. Some students began running for the doors, others began screaming, some doing both. All I knew was I shouldn't bring attention to myself. She had a wild look in her eyes, and if this was some sick joke, I didn't want to be a part of it.

I glanced at Logan whose mouth had fallen open, his eyes glued to Jen. I looked back at Jen, who had began running towards one of the screaming girls in the front row. "We've got to get out of here." I stood from my seat slowly, looking around at the panicked faces of my peers.