17

17 | The Biggest Mistake

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

+ Nakamoto Yuta

That night, Yuta stood outside of the karaoke place, watching the time on his phone pass by so slowly. He fidgeted with his hands that were trembling slowly at the thought of Hyemi coming outside the next minute. He prepared himself for this moment, but he was still nervous as fuck.

Just as he was about to rehearse his words again, Hyemi's small figure appeared out of nowhere, scaring the shit out of him.

"Awh, did I scare you?" She giggled, pinching his cheek. "Why're you here? Are you here to pick me up? You're so sweet." She grabbed his hand and began walking when Yuta jolted his hand away.

"Hyemi, I'm not here to pick you up."

His brain started to become blank. Everything he had rehearsed before was gone and now he had to improvise.

"What do you mean?"

"We need to talk."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

They sat outside of a convenience store, Yuta handing a drink to Hyemi.

"What's wrong Yuta?"

It took a while for him to answer.

"I don't think there's an easy way to say this... But I don't think we're good together."

He expected Hyemi to respond, but she didn't. She fell silent; for a second that is.

"What are you talking about? Don't joke around." She laughed. "What did you really want to tell meㅡ"

"Min Hyemi!"

She stopped talking and froze. She had never heard Yuta yell before.

"I'm being serious. You can find someone better than me. I'm not a good boyfriend to you. I'm horrible."

"That's not true! I love you and you love me don't you?" Hyemi began to have tears well up in her eyes.

"I thought I did, but I didn't. I got caught up in the moment when you asked me out that time. I lied to myselfㅡ"

"No you didn't! You love me! You love me! Don't trick me like this!" She banged on the table, grabbing the attention of passerbys.

"Hyemi please stop. I know you're a good person, but I can't date you if I don't feel the same way as you." Yuta just couldn't make eye contact with her. He stared down at the table they sat at, not looking up once. "I'll say it clearly one more time. I'm breaking up with you."

"NO! SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP" She screamed. "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?! WHY?!"

She was absolutely hysterical. She was almost inconsolable and banged on the table, louder and louder.

"Hyemi please stopㅡ"

"It's because of Jiyoung, isn't it?"

It feel silent again. Yuta was absolutely taken back at what she had said.

"Huh, I guess I'm right." She stooped screaming and her voice morphed in to a monotone, almost robot like sound. She seemed crazy. "Kang Jiyoung, KANG FUCKING JIYOUNG." Hyemi'a true feelings started to seep through.

She hit the table with her fist one last time as hard as she could, creating a small dent.

"She told me she'd stay away. I'm going to fucking end that bitch."

Yuta was completely shocked. "Is this who you really are? Is this why my friends were always so uncomfortable around you?" He asked, memories of you and Sicheng being so stiff around Hyemi running through his mind.

"You're leaving me for that slut?! That disgusting slut?!" She began to raise her voice again.

"I'm leaving, Hyemi. We're over. I don't want you in my life again." Yuta was enraged about what she was saying to you, but he couldn't let it sway him. He turned his back on her, ready to leave when she laughed.

"Fine, you can break up with me, but you can't see Jiyoung either."

"What makes you think that you have the right to control what I do?"

"You really don't know me Yuta. I can get anything I want. I can destroy her. I can get dirt on anyone, make people turn on anyone."

"You're threatening me?"

"I'm blackmailing you sweetheart."

Yuta felt disgusted as he realized that this was the person he was dating all along. Why was he such a dense idiot? He clenched his fists, suppressing his anger, "What would you exactly say if I don't comply? You can't have anything on Jiyoung. She hasn't done anything."

"I'm not gonna tell you. Why should I? Just follow along and everything will be fine."

"I'm not going to just ignore Jiyoung forever."

"Really? I'll blackmail you. I'm not fucking joking around Yuta!"

"Nobody will believe what you say."

She smirked, "Of course they will. Who would they believe? Me, or the slut who hangs out with guys all the time."

Yuta gave her a cold glare, "You're fucking insane. Don't even think about touching Jiyoung."

He could only hear her laughter as he left, walking farther and farther away from the convenience store. Why was she laughing?

She knew that Yuta had no choice but to fall to her request to protect the girl he was in love with.

What he just did could hurt you. Did he just make a huge mistake?