Chapter 13: Teaming Up

A slight tug in my belly makes me doubt if I'm ready to return to practice. An office stomach bug had us falling like flies during the past week. I sent an email to Cooper excusing myself from practice but received no reply. I called and messaged him, but he didn't pick up my call and my message is still unread.

Every day that goes by I doubt more and more if I made the right decision joining this team. I was looking forward to having a great time and making new friends. If it wasn't for Lachlan's calls and messages, I would feel lonelier than I was.

After I kissed him and he kissed me back, nothing else was said and we spent the rest of our time together watching TV until I went home. It didn't feel awkward, on the contrary, then it felt like old times where we enjoyed each other's company. I don't want to give much thought to our current situation or where it could potentially go and I'm fine with that.

Coming to the club by car was a bad idea. Usually, I go home first and walk to the club, but tried to catch up with the work I missed and decided to go straight from the office. I've been stuck in traffic for a while and the cars in front are not moving. If I wasn't on a highway, I would be tempted to park my car somewhere and walk. I'm gonna try not to let it bother me too much. I'm always on time to practice and coming late once shouldn't be a problem.

Finally, the cars in front of me move forward enough for me to use the emergency lane and take the exit. I'm not an adventurous one when it comes to risking a fine, but I'm just fed up with traffic. After parking at the club, I see my team on the field running around to warm up. I feel somewhat guilty and hurry my pace. If I change fast enough I can join them fashionably late.

"This is unacceptable, Rose! You just can't disappear like that."

"I had better things to do."

Walking into Rose and Cooper in the changing rooms is not what I expected. He presses her against the lockers while she looks at him with disgust. I can't move or they'll notice me.

"Playing fake family with that dick who knocked you up? Is that what you call better? I know it all Rose. Those kids you keep around at the cafe can't keep their mouths shut. I know you were in Barcelona."

"Why does it bloody matter to you if I'm here or not?" She asks between gritted teeth. "I'm a bench warmer. Remember?" She chuckles.

"Don't give me that shit now. I know what I'm doing. Look at me! Look at me, Rose!"

Rose has spotted me where I'm glued to my place. Cooper follows her and his annoyance level goes up a notch when he notices me.

"You!" He lets Rose go and strides towards me. "Where the hell have you been? Just because you are better than Sage don't you think you aren't replaceable. I get how this one acts. When she wants revenge she turns into a back-stabbing cynical bitch, but I wasn't expecting that from you!"

Shocked by his inappropriate language and behavior, I lift my bag on my shoulder and turn around.

"Sanne! Crap, you all seem to be in your period," Cooper mumbles. "Come back and get on that field! Okay, sorry. I'm saying sorry!"

I close the changing room door harder than is necessary and walk back to my car. What a dick! I was sick! Unacceptable isn't missing a game, unacceptable is his language and attitude.

"That prick has no filter, right?" I hear Rose say behind me, making me stop.

"What the fuck is wrong with him?"

"What isn't," she shrugs. "It was a matter of time before you got to see what he's really like."

"I was sick. I excused myself. The last thing for me was to make smoke signals to let him know."