Chapter 14

Zakary Jameson

I know what you did, Zakary.

You cannot hide from me.

I know what you did.

In the woods...

...to Claire.

No one can save you now. 

You can't even save yourself.

*

My palms and skin glistened with sweat as I sat on the bed of the run-down motel room. Charlotte had gone out on an errand and would not be home for some time.

All around me, I heard noises and voices, distorted and demonic sounding. They overlapped each other, creating a violence maelstrom of sound. I clapped my hands over my ears and squeezed my eyes shut, trying to block it all out. Despite my best efforts, the voices kept burrowing into my eardrums, like worms that were impossible to remove.

The chaos continued as I sat there in agony for what felt like several hours. At the moment when I was about to give in, it all suddenly stopped, and the room got eerily quiet.

I slowly opened my eyes and uncovered my ears, then looked around the room. Finding myself alone, I sighed deeply and closed my eyes.

"Heya, Zak."

My eyes flew open. Ben now sat beside me on the bed, looking just as he had before. I jumped up and began to back away from him, heart pounding.  He smiled and watched me contentedly.

"You're not real." I whispered. Ben laughed.

" 'Course I am! Don't you recognize me?" He responded. I swallowed hard, my sweaty palms growing even more clammy.

I shook my head quickly. "No you aren't!"

To my dismay, Ben stood and casually began to walk my way. I backed up against the wall, having nowhere else to go. If I tried to leave the motel room, I ran the risk of being recognized.

"What are you do afraid of, Zakary?" Ben taunted. I scrambled around, looking for something I could use as a weapon. I lifted up the first thing I could find and wielded it. A lamp with a moose printed on the shade, still plugged into the wall. Ben did not seem even slightly intimidated by my moose-lamp, so he continues to step closer.

"Stop right there!" I shouted hoarsely. Ben tsked.

"Zakary, Zakary, Zakary... Why are you pushing me away, buddy? I know you better than anyone! I know everything you know. Down to the dirty, dark secrets you keep in the back of your mind. The ones you don't tell anyone. Not even poor Charlotte, who you have manipulated into becoming your accomplise." he said slowly.

I shook my head and adjusted my grip on the lamp, but couldn't find anything to say to counter his taunts.

"What is it you see in her, anyways? She isn't anything special. You certainly don't LOVE her... So why keep her? You know, she has a fiance out there, wondering where his wife-to-be is. If he knew she was mindlessly abetting a serial killer, well, wouldn't he be thrilled!" Ben laughed again.

By now, my hands were shaking uncontrollably. It took effort now to even hold onto the lamp.

"Stop it." I muttered. Ben shook his head.

"Stop? Why stop when I am having so much fun tormenting YOU? I don't see the point in stopping." he said softly. I shook my head, trying to clear it.