Chapter 26

Alexander Donovan

For the second time, I punched the number to Samantha's cell phone into the old phone in the back of the restaurant. My cell had died, forcing me to use the corded phone. Sam was most likely angry at Kolver as well, so I didn't want to use his phone and risk her not picking up on purpose.

There were several long rings, then a click.

'Hi, it's Sam, I can't come to the phone right now, so leave a message and I'll get back to you!' There was a rustling sound, and then Trevor's voice came through. 'Bye-bye!' The customized voicemail ended, leaving me upset but smiling nonetheless. It was good to hear their voices, even if it had only been yesterday that I had heard them last. Not knowing what else to do, and with some hesitation, I dialed Gene's number. My little brother picked up on the second ring.

"Hello?"

"Gene, it's Alex." I told him, remembering that I was not on my cell. 

"Alex?!" he nearly shouted, "Where the heck are you?" His voice came through loud enough that I had to pull the phone a little away from my ear.

"Schaumburg." 

"Schaum...wait, what! Why the heck are you in Schaumburg?  That's like an hour away!" He questioned me.

"I had to speak to Jameson's biological father." I answered. There was a long pause, then a sigh from my brother.

"Of course. Alex, you knew that Samantha didn't want you to go! Your partner could have taken care of that by himself." He told me, his voice quiet.

"I know, I know. I just...had to. We found what we needed, that's what's important. This will all be over soon." I told him, knowing that it was a lousy excuse.

There was a long, long silence. Finally, I broke the silence, thinking that he had hung up on me.

"Gene?"

"You're a selfish jerk, you know that?" He said accusingly. I could feel the anger through his voice. I groaned.

"I know." 

"Do you, Alexander? Do you?" Gene asked me, his angry voice gaining volume. "'Cuz I'm starting to think that you don't. You're breaking your wife's heart, man! On purpose, too! All you care about is your stupid case! You don't even think to stop and make sure you're not forgetting your family!"

"I'm so sor-"

"SHUT UP!" He snapped. I closed my eyes and licked my dry lips, leaning against back of my chair. Knowing that it would not make anything better, I didn't talk, just focused on my breathing.

"Just...just get back here and see your wife, Alex. Have dinner with her and apologize. You owe her that." The line went dead. 

I found myself still holding the phone to my ear a minute or so after Gene hung up, listening to the monotone buzzing that had replaced his voice. Finally, I hung up and turned back towards the restaurant booths, smoothing my hair back. I returned to my booth to find Kolver finishing off his sandwich. I moved into my seat across from him from my wheelchair and just stared at my hardly-touched salad.

"What's wrong?" Kolver asked after swallowing his hamburger and chasing it down with a gulp of Coke. I just shook my head slowly and used my arm on the table to prop up my heavy head. I closed my eyes and swallowed hard.

I heard Kolver set down his cup. "You were all happy like five minutes ago. I take it your phone call didn't go well." He observed. I opened my eyes.