Chapter 21

Agent Alexander Donovan

Fifteen minutes later, Kolver and I were back in the car and racing down Main Street towards home.

I sat stiffly in my seat, gripping both armrests to the point where my knuckles had gone white. It felt like I had become a coiled spring, ready to burst into action. Within me, my breath came quick and I felt slightly sweaty.

"Faster." I demanded. Kolver, who was already going ten over the speed limit, glanced at me out of the corner of his eyes.

"I can't go any faster, Alex, I'm sorry. Why don't you call David?" He suggested. David Puller was one of the agents that worked with us in Chicago, but was known for his tendency to procrastinate. I was surprised he hadn't lost his job.

I sighed but, with no other choice, snapped open my phone and dialed his number. There were three slow rings that seemed to last minutes each before his rough voice answered.

"Agent Puller."

I nearly jumped at the sound of his voice. "Puller, it's Donovan. Zakary Jameson is at my house as we speak. I need you to get a team over there!" I instructed rapidly.

There was a moment of silence.

"Who?"

Anger began to boil over at the nitwit, and I forced myself not to swear at him.

"Jameson, you idiot!" I yelled.

"Oh!" The phone line went dead. I snapped my cell phone shut and pressed it against my lips, squeezing my eyes shut.

I couldn't believe that something like this would happen to me. Just the thought of that criminal in my home made me sick. If he harmed her...

The car stopped slowly at a red light, and I opened my eyes to see Kolver looking at me, concerned.

"We're going to catch him, Alex." He assured me, "For the first time since all of this started, we know exactly where he is. This is the opportunity we have been waiting for."

I looked at him, startled and angry. "'The opportunity'? Jameson is at my house, Daniel! You make it sound like that is a good thing! How-" I spat.

Kolver held up a hand, interrupting me, then began driving again as the light turned fluorescent green.

"I'm not saying it's a good thing, Alex, but it is what we've needed. It sucks, I know, but we know where he is. Men are on their way, and they will catch him." He annunciated the last few words in attempt to drill them into me. I rubbed my eyes tiredly and looked out the window, watching the cozy buildings slowly give way to green landscape and farms.

I knew he was right. I just didn't want to admit it. Something troubled me, though.

"Why would he call and tell me where he was? That's a stupid move for a criminal to make. We've never gotten any kind of warning before." I wondered aloud. Kolver was quiet, his brow furrowed as he thought.

"Well...have you ever heard of a criminal like Jameson? I sure haven't! He does things that are impossible. Physically extraordinary. You told me he threw the car at you with the flick of his wrist. What is that, telekinesis?" He chuckled quietly, "Now that's a new one."

I looked at him for a moment, then back to the window and shrugged.

"I guess. That doesn't make sense though." Suddenly, I remembered the note left by Jameson at the very beginning of the whole ordeal, and smiled a little bit. "Jameson said that he would turn himself in if we found his motive. We've done that." I told him.