Chapter 12

AN: Sorry this chapter is gonna be a bit shorter than usual. I plan out each chapter beforehand, choosing a topic to cover each time, therefore organizing it to fit my needs. Hope you understand:) oh yeah, and Agent Daniel Kolver wi be returning in this chapter. If you don't remember him, see chapter 6:)

• • •

Agent Alexander Donovan

The morning after the three bodies were found I sat in my office, thinking about this unusual case.

As far as I could tell, Zakary Jameson had absolutely no motive at all to kill any of the poor people he had claimed as his victims.

In front of me on the desk sat Zak's open file. I continuously skimmed over it, looking for anything useful. Finding nothing, I sighed heavily and closed the file.

A soft knock on the door snapped me from from my pensive state and back to the real world.

"Come in." I mumbled, rubbing my eyes tiredly. The previous night had offered me not even a minute of sleep due to the macabre images that were now scarred into my memory, haunting me each waking moment. I felt like my head was going to explode, and I was afraid to close my eyes.

The door swung open and my good friend Agent Kolver stepped inside. He held several papers in one hand. His cheery smile disappeared when he saw me in my exhausted state.

"You okay, Alex? You look terrible." He asked, closing the door as he crossed the office to my desk. I nodded.

"Yeah, just tired and stressed, is all." I replied.

"Just tired and stressed? That isn't exactly a little thing, Alex. Maybe you should take a day off." Daniel Kolver told me. I shook my head and sat up straighter.

"No, it's fine. Really." I assured him. Kolver nodded and took a seat in front of my desk.

"What's that?" He asked, gesturing to Zak's file. I slid the file over to him.

"Jameson's file. I feel like I'm missing something." I told him. Kolver picked it up, opened it, and began to look through the contents.

"Meaning?"

I shrugged.

"I don't know. I guess I am just trying to find his motive. I honestly can't imagine what could drive a man to do what he has done." I tried to explain.

Kolver pulled out a series of three light pink papers from the file and began to look over them. Being the only colored papers in the file I had composed, it was easy to identify them as Zak's psychology records.

"Wow. Quite a colorful character isn't he?" Kolver observed. I quickly recalled reading about how Zak had been diagnosed with both schizophrenia and major bipolar disorder, and that the mental illness had seemingly no cause due to his picture-perfect family.

I nodded in agreement and cleared my throat.

"Yup. He sure is. Didn't you once tell me that before going into law enforcement you were studying to be a psychologist?" I asked. It had been years ago, and I hadn't recalled the fact until that moment.

Kolver smiled and nodded.

"Yeah, for a couple years, actually. Once I got married I just decided it wasn't what I wanted to do in life. Especially after-" Kolver stopped talking mid sentence, his smile dropping into a sad frown. I ran my fingers through my black hair and sighed, already knowing what he meant.

Only a year after Kolver married his wife, Beatrice, they celebrated the birth of their first daughter. Her name was Stella. Stella was probably the most beautiful baby girl anyone could imagine. Daniel and Beatrice absolutely adored her.