Chapter 29

The second my last class was over, Daisy and I headed to Pittsburgh’s shopping strip to look for an outfit that I could wear on Harry and I’s date. Daisy’s expensive taste and overpriced choices caused a significant dent in my debit card funds, but I knew that impressing Harry would be well worth it.

We agreed on a Herve Ledger gold bandage dress, adorning to every curve that my body had to offer and making my waist appear much smaller than a size double-zero. My high-maintenance best friend also wouldn’t let me leave Saks Fifth Avenue without purchasing a pair of black patent-leather, pointed-toe Jimmy Choo’s to accompany the tight, shiny gold wrapping. I made it back to my dorm nearly two thousand dollars poorer but feeling like a trust-fund-princess.

Daisy curled my hair elegantly and tied the front pieces behind my head, gentle ringlets falling sporadically across my back and shoulders. She applied more make up to my face than I’d ever approve of, but I couldn’t deny that I felt pretty with a little foundation to smooth over the flaws of my skin, different shades of gold and black eyeshadows to dress up my eyes, and an eyeliner wing and mascara to make them pop. My designer heels made me significantly taller and Daisy insisted that I could’ve easily passed for a Herve Ledger runway model.

I grabbed a simple black clutch from my closet and filled it with anything that I could possibly need. I was swiping pink lipgloss across my bottom lip when there was a knock at the door. Daisy volunteered to get it and I hurried through my finishing touches, eager to see Harry’s reaction to how I looked in my newly confident, designer-clad skin. He was wearing a neatly-tailored navy blue suit - slacks and jacket - and a clean white button-up with a red-orange tie and brown oxford dress shoes. His hair was neatly combed back and tamed, curls absent from his forehead. He held a bouquet of peonies in his strong hands and swiped a thumb over his lip ring while laughing at something that Daisy had said.

My legs felt like rubber. I had thought that Harry was irresistible in a t-shirt and jeans but I was naive to how well he cleaned up. His eyes set on me slowly, green fire raking down my body and back up. He licked his lips and walked towards me, one hand in the pocket of his slacks and one around the base of the bouquet.

“Gorgeous,” he mumbled as he looked me over close up. “These are for you.” He handed me the bouquet and I thanked him quietly, placing them beside my bed.

“So where are you two off to?” Daisy asked.

“Isabela on Grandview,” Harry said. “It’s beautiful and sounds delicious. The perfect place.” He looked to me and smiled.

“We should get going.” I noted. “We don’t want to miss our reservations.”

Harry nodded and we left the room. Daisy sent me with mascara, eyeshadow, and lip gloss just in case I needed to touch up my make up. I staggered to Harry’s car in my too-high heels and smiled when he opened the car door for me. He turned up the radio as he drove away from campus, another intoxicating rhythm filling the truck.

It’s early morning, the sun comes out;

Last night was shakin’, pretty loud.

My cat is purring, it scratches my skin,

So what is wrong with another sin?

“This sounds dirty.” I pointed out and Harry laughed.

The bitch is hungry, she needs to tell,

So give her inches and feed her well.

More days to come, new places to go;

I’ve got to leave, it’s time for the show.

Here I am, rock you like a hurricane.