Chapter 22

“Reina, you look smashing!” Harry greeted me kindly as his cigarette bobbed between his lips with each word. A slight heat rose to my cheeks with the compliment and I kicked a leaf that was near the toe of my shoe.

“Hi, Harry.” I mumbled with a small smile. “How was your walk of shame?”

“Not as bad as I expected. And I can say with a heavy heart that I sincerely regret not accompanying you to coffee this morning.” He tossed his cigarette and ran his newly freed hand through my hair with a tantalizing smirk. “Down: just how I like it.”

“I remembered what you told me in Mexico.” I shared shyly, melting under his sexy facial expression. Harry chuckled and tilted my head up to place a soft kiss on my lips. I whimpered when he pulled away, unashamedly desperate for more contact.

“Hush now, gorgeous, you shouldn’t pout. There’s more of me to go around.” He joked with a wink then gestured me to follow him out of the quad. “While you were in class, I had some time to consider what today would entail. And although I’d kill to spend all of it in your bed half-naked, I know that you deserve better than that. So hear out my boring plan before you turn it down.”

“Okay,” I nodded and waited for him to continue.

“I’ve met Daisy multiple times now and I spent last night in your room, so, now, I think you deserve a glance into my world. You’ve met Aaron, but he’s merely a simple, not-university-related friend in the mix of my billions.” He exaggerated concededly and showed me his biggest smile. I shook my head with a small laugh.

“Are they nice?” I asked nervously. Harry stopped walking once we reached the parking lot, leaving my question unanswered. He moved to the passenger side and held open the door of a sleek black Jeep, gesturing me to get in. “Is this your car?”

“It is.” He said. “Where we’re going is off campus, plus ten or so miles, so we’ll need to drive. I promise I’m a good driver.” I obliged and climbed into the beautiful truck, tracing lines with the tips of my fingers into the soft, black leather seat. Harry shut my door and rounded the car to get in on the driver’s side. The gentle purr of an engine sounded as the ignition was triggered.

“Where exactly are we going?” I asked once he pulled onto the highway. “I still don’t know you very well and you’re taking me to an unknown place that’s far from campus. It sounds slightly murderous.”

He chuckled and switched lanes. “We’re going to Avery Black’s house.” My nerves settled as he spoke a familiar name. Although I didn’t get to know her too well, I trusted Avery and hoped that she’d be as nice to be as she was the night prior. I simply nodded and watched cars fly past us through the passenger window.

After what felt like billions of cars passed us and my eyes began to flutter closed, Harry switched on the radio. An upbeat guitar rhythm filled the black interior of his truck and woke me from my drowsy state. A tattooed arm reached to increase the volume of the radio. I rested my head against the window and let the beat pound in my chest.

...‘Cause baby we’ll be,

At the drive-in,

In the old man’s Ford,

Behind the bushes,

Until I’m screaming for more;

Down the basement,

Lock the cellar door,

And baby, talk dirty to me...

“What song is this?” I asked as a guitar solo began to flow from the speakers.

“Talk Dirty to Me by Poison.” Harry shared, exiting the highway and turning down the volume of the music. “Do you like it?”

“Although there’s more innuendo than I’d prefer, the beat is fun and it put me in a good mood.” I said truthfully and his smile was contagious. “I think I’ve heard this one before, though.”

With a shake of his head, he said shamefully, “Yeah, this one is on Guitar Hero.” Harry and I both got a chuckle out of my naiveness to rock and roll, no matter how full of it my fantasies were. Soon, we approached a gorgeous colonial home that was just short of being considered a mansion and he parked against the curb adjacent to it.

“This is Avery’s house?” I asked, stunned.

“Yeah,” Harry shrugged and got out of the car, running to my side and opening the door for me before I got the chance to. I was led into a beautifully decorated foyer, filled with sculptures and paintings and a grand staircase set in the middle of the room. Avery appeared at the top of the stairs in an oversized flannel, torn black tights, and Doc Martens. Her facial expression went from welcoming to confused to surprised.

“Reina Higgins, is that you?” She called, creating quite the ruckus as she hurried down the amazing flight of stairs in her clunky boots. “And you came with Styles?”

“Nice to see you too, Ave.” Harry rolled his eyes. “Want a drink, Reina?” I nodded as Avery pulled me into a tight hug before leading me upstairs.

“I’m so happy that you came! I didn’t think to invite you last night and I should have; I feel bloody terrible. Louis and I saw your flower last night after you left with Styles. Now, give me the dirty details! You know how I fantasize about him.” She rambled on. I did my best to swallow down the jealousy that came with Avery’s open obsession with my... boyfriend?

Is that what I’d call him: my boyfriend? Or my lover? Special friend? Significant other? Boy toy? The lines of our agreement needed to be drawn more clearly, preferably with a sharp pencil instead of the fading gap of watercolors that stood.

“We, um, we’re testing out a relationship right now.” I shared awkwardly, clutching my small purse too tightly as I was shown into a room with a group of scary looking boys that I didn’t know.

Avery seemed to ignore what I said and instead called the room to attention. “Boys! This is Ray, Styles’ girlfriend.”

Every piercing-clad mouth seemed to hit the floor when they realized that they had heard her correctly. A wild, deep red blush spread from my chest to my cheeks and I fixed my gaze on my shoes instead of the silent group of people around me. The room was still dead silent and all the attention was still set on me when Harry walked in, a small smile spreading on Avery’s face.

“What’s going on?” Harry asked, emerald eyes scanning everyone in the room before settling on me.

Avery answered for me. “I introduced the group to your girlfriend.”

Panic rose and fell in my chest as I tried to decipher Harry’s expression. How would he react to me being called his girlfriend? He was sure to freak out, yell at me and tell me that he’d never allow someone like me to be his official girlfriend. Did he even have official girlfriends? The way the room around me was staring told me that he didn’t. I was scared that all the progress we made at the party and throughout the night would go swirling down the drain because of Avery’s poor word choice.

But shockingly, instead of throwing a fit and cursing me out, Harry just shrugged, his expression unfazed by the use of the word “girlfriend”. He pushed past Avery and handed me a drink, securing one strong arm protectively around my waist. The low hum of Harry’s accent filled the quiet room when he answered the question floating in my mind.

“I could’ve done that myself.” He simply said, surprising me and everyone else.