Chapter 27

The band’s set was about half way through when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned from Harry to find Avery behind me wearing a nervous smile.

“Can I steal you for a little while?” She asked, yelling over the music that pounded throughout the small venue. I nodded and told Harry that I’d be right back. Avery led me outside into the cool night air where the blaring bass line was simply a thump against the walls.

“Wow, you can actually hear yourself think out here.” I noted with a giggle. Avery laughed along with me and lit a cigarette between her lips. She took a long drag on it before her distant cobalt eyes regarded me.

“Do you want one?” She asked, and I waved it off. “I wanted to talk to you about what happened before.”

“Oh, Avery, please let that go. I feel like a fool. I overreacted-”

She cut me off. “No, you didn’t. Ray, I’m so sorry for laughing at you. I was so wrong for doing that. Right when I thought we were becoming mates, I upset you and I’m so mad at myself for that.”

“You didn’t upset me, I promise. I was more angry at Zayn and I was being ridiculous.” I explained. “No worries. All is forgiven.”

“I’ve never really had a close friend that was a girl. I’ve always hung around the boys because I felt more accepted. I realize that we’ve only known each other for two days, but you’ve been kinder to me than any girls have ever been in the past.” She said.

“So that friend who had left you to hook up with someone at the party...” I trailed off questioningly.

“She was just the other girl who came with the boys that night. Her, I, and a countless amount of bad boys.” She paused, another thought sparking in her ocean eyes. “I think I like Louis.”

The words were the last ones that I ever expected to hear out of her mouth. “Seriously? That’s wonderful!”

“I don’t know why I’m telling you this, I’m sure you don’t care. It’s just that, I can’t talk to any of the boys about it and I don’t have any mates that are girls, as we just discussed.” She said. “When you asked us if we were dating the other night, it really clicked. Louis and I have hooked up a few times, and I guess I caught feelings.”

“Have you told him?” I asked.

“No,” she shook her head. “I can’t. He’s like the other boys: relationships are off limits. Only sex.”

“Well, Harry used to be like that too, remember?” I pointed out. “The right girl can change everything for a boy who thinks he has his mind set. You have nothing to lose.”

“I guess you’re right.” She finished off her cigarette and tossed it onto the concrete sidewalk. “Thank you so much, Ray. For listening, for talking to me.”

I smiled and an idea popped into my mind. “Do you want to stay with Daisy and I tonight? We can get ice cream and talk strategy. She knows more than I ever will.”

“That sounds wonderful, thank you.” She smiled. “Let’s get back to the show. The Jonas Brothers aren’t in town that often.” We both laughed and made our way inside.

~~~

By the time the show was over, I felt alive. For the first time in my life, I got to witness boys with oddly colored hair and lip rings shred on guitars and feel an intoxicating beat pound within me, all while watching a beautiful boy beside me nod his head along to the music. My whole body felt as if it was ignited, the flames being doused in gasoline as Harry pressed me into the side of his car.