shooting star

she got in the backseat of her small car and curled up, the box curled in her arms. she smiles and closes her eyes, breathing in the air that smells like cigarettes. she'd have to talk to ashton about smoking in her car.

she's tired, constantly yawning and rubbing her eyes. he's wide awake, his veins pulsing with adrenaline. a smile sits on his face as he drives home. he thinks about her as his radio plays his old playlist.

"she's beautiful." he whispers. "i don't even know her last name."

meanwhile, rue takes out her phone and squints at the brightness. it's somewhere around three am. she calls ashton.

"ash?" he answers almost immediately.

"hey, rue." he breathes.

"were you sleeping?" she asks him.

"no, i'm outside somewhere, having a smoke. what do you need?"

she sighs. "smoking is disgusting."

"calms me."

"can you walk to that gas station near us? with the convenience store attached?"

he hums in response. "yeah. be there soon, rue. you safe?"

"better than safe." she smiles. "thanks, dude."

she closes her eyes after hanging up and is startled awake by a tapping on her window. she springs awake, shaky and scared. she looks out the window only to see ashton.

"hey, ash." she unlocks the door after reaching through the front seats. he clambers in and she throws her keys at him, laying back down.

"you smell like smoke." she whispers, her eyes closed and her hands folded over the box on her stomach.

"yeah."

he turns the car on and pulls out. "what took you so long?"

she inhales slowly and licks her lips. "I just wanted to get my lucky charms, right? so i go in the shop and this guy with bright red hair grabs it the same time i do! we both pay half and he somehow persuades me to sit with him and eat it in the backseat of his van so that it's fair. so i go along, somehow hoping that maybe he wouldn't kill me. we're eating the cereal, and it starts raining. he looks so beautiful, the way the moonlight hit him. and so he kissed me. i kissed him. a short and small kiss but it was adorable and he let go of the box but wrote his number on it and, god, he was cute."

ashton laughs, making a smooth right turn.

"summer love?"

she opens her eyes. "it's nearly fall."

"details. so, he's not suspicious?"

she bites her tongue. "we didn't talk much. we ate cereal and counted raindrops."

"alright, rue. be safe, though."

"mhm."

she soon fell asleep in the backseat of her car with ashton driving. once she was out, ashton lit a cigarette and smoked on the way home.