shooting star

she rammed the key into the ignition of her run down pickup truck and slammed the pedal, making the tires scream and the gas cry. it was nearly 2:00am and she was awake still.

she had been downstairs, drinking a small glass of milk in a blue mason jar when she opened her pantry. her eyes scanned the boxes for the familiar red box. it wasn't found. she frowned angrily as her stomach let out a growl.

so here she was, driving to a 24/7 quickie mart. her car, a chipped and dented red ford, rumbled uneasily as it bounced on potholes in the street. her hands lazily held the steering wheel, just barely directing the car. she didn't have any music playing - her mixed cd was in the console and she didn't feel up to putting it in the slot. her eyes roamed the darkness, the shadows only

illuminated by the street lights. all houses were dark.

her eyes felt heavy and she yawned as she pulled up to the small store linked to a gas station. there were two cars parked near hers. one was a minivan, and one was a convertible of sorts.

she entered the store and the door chime jingled. she patted her pockets to assure she had money. she did.

strolling to the section of dry food, she found a tall boy with red hair searching for something. her quick eyes found the red value sized box almost instantly, so she began reaching in front of him. he followed her hand, darting for the box as well.

their hands grazed and neither of them pulled away for a moment, their weak fingers lingering on each other's. hoping to trick the girl, he grabs the box. unfortunately for him, she grabs the other side.

she shoots him a sideways grin, smug and happy.

"i need these." she smiles warmly, teasing actions dancing in her eyes.

"me too." they hold each other's gazes steadily, his warm green eyes contrasting her sharp blue ones.

"you look like the leprechaun on the box, dude." she laughs breathily, her chest lifting for a brief moment. she's left with the ghost of a smile. he pouts playfully, his fingers crawling closer to hers on the box. his stomach curdles in exchange for him to not blush.

"rude!" he laughs, tilting his head back slightly. his teeth show, just barely, and his tongue darts out of his mouth cutely. he doesn't notice as he laughs, but her grip on the box loosens as she smiles at his beauty.

"sorry." she smiles, lips pressed together. her grip tightens.

"it's alright. now, are you going to give me the box?"

she shakes her head, a cocky smile scrawled on her mouth. she winks just to try and irk him. "no."

"but," he whines, stomping his feet. "they're lucky chaaaarms!"

he reminds her of a young child causing her to smile more.

"exactly! come on, leprechaun boy, give me it!"

he squeezes his eyes shut and sticks his tongue out at her. she does the same, mockingly.

"oh, yeah? you look like on of the shooting star charms." he weakly sasses. she glances down at her cotton pajama shorts and her light blue t-shirt. a sheet of glass covers her diamond blue eyes, salty tears of over tiredness.

"what one? there's the pink, the blue," she jokes.

he pauses, humming. "whatever one is cutest."

their hands are still on the box and they have both inched closer. as he complimented her, he placed two fingers over hers. she blushes pink.

"real smooth." she nearly gives him the box just to cover her hot face.

a small bell sound rings. "alright, kids, closing time."

they glance at each other, fingers still partly laced together. they both walk the box to the counter.

"i had it first." she warns him.

"no, i did."

the cashier rolls her eyes and waits for money. she pulls out a dollar with her free hand as does he, and, without knowing, they pay for the sugary cereal together.