balloon

his breath smelled of candy and sugar.

it was intoxicating, the way his breath mingled with hers in their close proximity. his lips were smooth and hers were chapped.

his eyes frequently darted down to her lips, but she didn't seem to notice. her hand was still on the box but her free one was on his knee. she absentmindedly traced circles on his kneecap.

"rue, you're pretty."

she laughs and blushes. "thank you."

a silence drapes over them.

rue is staring at the back of the interior of the van, her eyes hung low. when he's not looking at her, she's looking at him.

"i like the way the moonlight hits your face." she whispers, moving her hand from his knee to his face, outlining his cheekbones like they're glass. her eyes a deep pools of wonder as she stares at him.

and then they're kissing.

it's sugary, sweet, soft, and sadly, quick. their lips meet and as mikey is drawn into her like a thread being picked up he drops the box. rue doesn't notice. his hand cups her cheek and they stop, their lips burning. her forehead touches his, their eyes searching each other's. rue looks at the interior again, staring out of the back window. it's starting to get warm in the car, but surprisingly breezy for a summer night.

mikey runs his fingers over his lips.

"i let go of the box!" he whines, playfully tapping his fists on the ground. he crosses his arms and pouts.

"oh!" rue smiles happily. she hugs the box to her chest.

"you're a good kisser." he compliments.

"it was barely a peck, mikey."

"but still."

rue takes a bite of cereal. the rain begins to pour and mikey checks his phone. it's almost 3:00am, and his eyes are burning from tiredness.

he yawns, rubs his eyes, and curls into himself. his knees are hugged to himself, his chin resting in the crook that his kneecaps make.

rue's mind is whirling but she counts the raindrops to calm her.

"i feel grimy." she mutters, putting the box beside her. she rubs the back of her neck.

"why?" he asks.

"i just kissed a random stranger!"

he laughs gently, and shakes his head. "i did, too. do you know her? her name's rue."

rue blushes and laughs, counting the raindrops once more as it falls harder.

"i like the summer rain." she whispers, reaching out and tracing the paths that the small water droplets take.

he nods. "i do, too."

mikey's phone rings again, a familiar buzz pattern. this time, he picks up.

"hey, luke. you okay?"

rue can barely hear what the boy says.

drunkenly, luke slurs "yeah, dude! can you come hooooome? i'm tiiiired. haha." he giggles.

mikey nods and hums a response, clicking the call off. he bursts out laughing and rue bites her lip. she likes the way his teeth show and he claps his hands together, the way a few strands of red hair falls into his face. she likes it.

"he's so drunk!" he gasps between laughs.

"oh." rue laughs, too.

"i don't want to say bye, but i have to go take care of him."

rue nods, glad she can go back and crawl under her white duvet with her box of lucky charms.

"well, mikey, i'll have to bid you goodbye. however, these lucky charms are mine."

he huffs. "whatever. can i see it, first?"

she slowly hands him the box. he pulls out a sharpie from somewhere in the back of the van and scribbles on the box. he hands the box back. she doesn't glance at the writing.

she waves at him, lifts the back of his car, and gets out.

"goodbye, leprechaun." she smiles cheerily.

"goodbye, shooting star." he blushes and winks at her.

as she leaves, he watches her splash in puddles formed by the rain.

it's only when she gets into her car does she realize that he's scrawled, "mikey clifford - x(:" with his number. her heart does the flippy thing.