four

I woke up in my bed, on my own. I stretched over to check the time.

10:07AM. I'm usually up from 6AM with Layla?

I bounced out of bed and checked Layla's cot, she wasn't there.

I got out of bed and made my way into the living room, trying not to panic.

There they both were. Brad was sat on the sofa with Layla on his lap as he had her cuddly rabbit in his hand, playing with her.

He put the rabbit up to her face. 'Kisses.' He cooed as he pressed the rabbit to her lips making a 'muah' sound.

I lingered at the door and watched the two. Layla's smile never leaving, the same going for Brad.

'Morning.' I said as I walked over to them.

'Morning.' Brad chirped.

'Sorry for taking her out, I was going to the toilet and seen she was awake. I thought you'd appreciate the sleep.' He explained as he held Layla.

'No thank you Brad, I really appreciate it, so much.' I thanked him causing him to smile.

'She's had her first feed already.' He told me as he handed me her.

He made his way to the kitchen. 'I went to the shop also and got eggs and fresh bread for breakfast.' He held up a bag.

'Would you like me go make you some?' He asked to which I nodded.

'Please.' I replied, grateful for his help.

'Hey baba, did you sleep well?' I spoke in my baby voice as I rubbed my nose against Layla's causing a small smile to take over her.

'There wasn't a word out of her this morning.' Brad piped up from the kitchen.

'Huh was you a good girl for Brad?' I peppered her in kisses.

Once you become a mother your child becomes your everything. You no longer think of relationships and often find yourself with just your child and yourself.

My best friend from school, Lola has stuck by me all these years. It was always us two. Of course we have a good group of friends but me and her were always closer.

She was coming home today seeing as she had been visiting her family in Spain for a month. We still had yet to pick a day to hang out.

Once Brad had made the toast and egg along with coffee we sat at the table and talked whilst we ate. Layla was in her bouncer close to the table.

As we were half way through eating our breakfast there was a knock at the door.

I got up to go and see who it was. When I opened it, my best friend was stood there grinning.

'Lola!' I wrapped my arms around her as she done the same.

'I've missed you so much.' She whispered.

'I've miss you too.' I said as we pulled away.

I hear Layla begin to scream from the kitchen.

'Come in.' I chuckled.

When we got in, Brad was sat in the kitchen with Layla on his knee, calming her down.

He looked up as he seen us entering the room.

'Brad this is Lola, Lola this is Brad.' I introduced them.

'Nice to meet you.' They both said as they smiled.

'Oh my where's my gorgeous girl!' She cooed as she walked towards Layla.

Brad handed Layla to Lola as she fussed over her.

'She's got so big. Please stop growing.' She said as she cradled her.

I chucked at her before sitting down and finishing my breakfast.

'Lola do you want anything?' Brad asked as he cleared up.

'No I'm good thanks.' She replied.

Brad insisted that he cleaned up after he made the breakfast, making me sit with the girls and catch up.

Once he'd finished tidying up he made his way over.

'I'm going to head now.' He announced.

I stood up and he pulled me in for a hug before going to Layla.

He ran his finger over her cheek causing her to let out a laugh.

'See you soon princess.' He cooed at her making my heart melt.

'Thank you for last night Ellie.' He said as he stood up.

'No problem Brad, anytime.' I replied smiling.

'See you soon.' I said as he got to the door, he smiled before leaving.

'Right so what's going on?' Lola questioned after he had left.

'He's just my neighbour.' I shrugged.

'Oh so do all your neighbours spend the night and act like a father to Layla?' I just rolled my eyes.

'No Lola, we're just getting to know each other.' I sighed. 'If you must know, he came here on his way home last night. He was really upset so we had a movie night and I asked him to stay the night. Okay? So no more questions.' I warned her causing her to hold her hands in surrender.

'I'm just saying though, if you are yano getting it go you girl, he's a ten outta ten.' She winked causing me to groan and smack her arm.

'So today,' I said changing the subject. 'What do you wanna do?' I asked.

'Hmm.' She thought. 'How about we go for lunch and see where life takes us from there.' She said and I nodded to agree.

As we were talking and playing with Layla my phone buzzed. Lola grabbed it from up on the seat.

'Ohhh it's lover boy!' She exclaimed.

'Shut up and give me my phone.' I got up and grabbed it off her.

Brad- Hellooo, if you and Lola are looking to head out somewhere later I'm free if you want me to look after Layla for a few hours? X

I looked up, Lola waiting for me to reply seeing as she already seen the text. She nodded eagerly.

Me- I don't want to make you feel pressured to take her x

Brad- She'd be keeping me company x

I showed Lola the messages asking what she thought. 

'Well you said he was really upset last night?' She asked and I nodded. 'Well maybe it'll help cheer him up?' She shrugged. 'Or maybe he's looking to have some bonding time with his to be step daughter.' She wriggled her eyebrows.

'You've gotta stop doing that.' I groaned at her.

'Invite him out for lunch, I wanna get to know your boyfriend.' She said whilst taking a drink from her water.