14 - Martian Hunt

14 - Martian Hunt

(Chapter 14)

➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵

He wanted to finish this and at the same time, he didn't.

Ray didn't want Eliza to leave and he didn't want to see her get hurt anymore. He didn't quite know how to explain it, but he hasn't felt this way toward anyone since Anna. Elizabeth made him feel happy. More than he had in a long time. He enjoyed her company.

"Ray, past you and past Elizabeth are entering her apartment, be prepared." Sara's voice came through.

"I am," He replied. Ray stood in Eliza's loft in his tiny form so as to not be seen. And less than a moment later, the lock on Eliza's front clicked open and both she and his slightly younger self stepped into the room.

Eliza stepped further into the room, "Paco?" She called and waited.

"Dang it!" Ray cursed silently, he had forgotten that she had a cat! He turned around to the Paco looking at him from his place at the top of the stairs. Thankfully, the animal only swished its tail and let out a low mewl before continuing down.

"Hey there, Paco!" Eliza spoke cheerily, scratching the cat's ears, "I've brought some company, so be nice, please." The cat purred loudly in return.

Behind her, the door closed softly and the younger Ray spoke, "You're speaking to a cat?"

Eliza continued petting her cat, "Yeah, why not? He understands me."

Ray smiled, he had almost forgotten how relaxed she looked with her cat here in her own apartment. He wanted her to stay happy.

"Ray, is anything happening, yet?" Jax's voice questioned.

"No, we still have about an hour until the martian shows up," Ray replied, leaning against the metal pole of the loft railing.

"Well keep your eyes open," Rip responded, "Just because this is the past does not mean that everything will happen the exact same way."

"Alright," Ray nodded, forgetting that they couldn't actually see him. "I'll let you all know when the martian shows up."

"Roger that," Nate replied cheekily earning a few groans from his teammates.

➵➵➵➵➵➵➵➵

It had only been about half an hour, but it felt as though it had been so much longer. Elizabeth paced around Captain's Quarters once more, "Gideon, is there any way of knowing what's happening out there?"

"Yes," the computer replied, "But I was instructed not to let you see or hear unless absolutely necessary."

Eliza sighed and crossed her arms. The Captain's Quarters was old fashioned in style, but comfortable. She shook her head, she couldn't be getting distracted by the scenery right now. "Gideon, do you know if they'll succeed?"

"There are many different possibilities, Ms. Thompson, but knowing the Legends, they have an eighty-seven percent chance of success. You needn't worry."

"But what about the other thirteen percent?" If Gideon could sigh, Eliza was sure the computer would've done it.

"Mr. Thompson, I assure you, everything will be fine. The Legends will succeed. I've never known them to fail more than once."