chapter five

16 YEARS, FOUR MONTHS AND 16 DAYS AGO

The children's mother walked over to a record player as she set down a record.

During extreme weather conditions, a climber must possess the wisdom to determine when evacuation is inevitable.

She walked to the dining hall entrance holding a bell in her hand and ringing it. The sound of multiple footsteps approaching the dining room filled the quiet home.

A controlled alpine descent begins with the girding of one's loins and the anchoring of the climbing rope to one's enemy, the mountain.

The children all walked in standing behind their assigned chairs as they waited for their father.

The Dülfersitz rappel is the preferred method for descent when the rope is the only available tool, but must be regarded as a last resort. Begin by looping the rope

Their father walked in as he stood behind his chair looking at them and nodded speaking up," Sit" They all followed the orders sitting down as the record continued to play.

A screen anchor must be used if the rope is to be successfully retrieved from the face of the mountain.

Nearest to the father were Allison and Luther, who sat across from the man and smiled at each other in secret.

Tightly knot the ends of the rope.

Next to Luther, was Diego and next to Allison was Klaus.

Once anchored, thread the doubled rope through the legs, front to back, and around the buttocks.

Klaus was rolling a joint as Diego was using his knife carving something into his armchair.

It is of utmost importance that the rope is drawn under the gluteal muscles, not through the crevice between the gluteus.

Next to Klaus, was Ben reading a book peering at Prime who was nudging his feet as they hooked it together in affection. At the end of the table from their father, Prime and Vanya sat next to each other. Vanya stared at her brother Five who was looking at his father intensely. The father looks at his children drinking his wine then turning down to eat his meal.

Proceed by holding the rope diagonally

A loud clang was heard on the table as the children looked at their brother Five who had stabbed the table with a butter knife. The father shoots his head up and speaks sternly," Number Five?"

"I have a question" He seethed clasping his hands together and looking at his father intently

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson" He said referring to the record playing