15| r i n g

Monday | 8:40 p

Monday | 8:40 p.m.

Detective Tristan Rodriguez hurried into the mansion that the Rubys called home for the second time this evening.

It was already his third visit and even then, he almost had the urge to stop by and gape at the massive glamorous building or the three tiered marble fountain standing proudly in the middle of the circular driveway. However, he wasn't one to get easily distracted and the call he received earlier urgently demand his immediate attention.

He picked up his pace and strode up the wide marble steps, where the plump secretary was already stood waiting for him in the grand foyer, which was as big as his whole apartment, or even bigger. "You are late, detective," she greeted with a tight smile before turning around, beckoning him to follow her. "Mrs. Ruby has been awaiting your arrival for quite some time already."

Tristan didn't reply, and instead, hastened his steps. He knew the secretary was aware he just left this mansion less than two hours ago after she had accepted the package, or the fact that he had rushed back here straight after her urgent phone call. He hurried his pace, until the woman stopped in front of a set of heavy double doors. Muffled, yet a clearly panicked feminine voice could be heard from the other side.

The secretary nodded, and Tristan knocked briskly on the door, although he doubted anyone would hear it with the commotion inside. Pushing the door open, he entered the lushly decorated room. He wasn't even surprised with the lavish designs and the expensive furnitures oozing with wealth, although the room was darkly lit, with the eerie orange glow of the three glass chandeliers the only provided light.

"Is everything alright in here?" His eyes narrowed as he accessed the unfolding scene before him.

Bethany, his partner, was sitting timidly on a couch, flustered and tensed, while a red-haired woman sat crossed-leg on the adjacent armchair, a sly smile playing on her red painted lips. A brown-haired young man, probably in his mid-twenties, stood by the brick fireplace, leaning lightly against the dark wood mantel decorated with antiques. If Tristan didn't have a keen eyesight, he would have missed the man, hidden in the shadows of an already dimmed room.

"So the lead detective of this case finally decided to show up," Mrs. Ruby drawled, her gaze sweeping coldly to him. It was his first time meeting Empire's chairwoman in person, one of America's most powerful business tycoons, and he was caught surprised at the startling resemblance with her younger daughter ⏤the same red hair, the same piercing green eyes, the same striking features. "Care to explain why my family's heirloom is missing?"

"I've been trying to explain that the victim wasn't wearing any ring when we found her at the crime scene." Betty started, gesturing to a folder in her hand. "She isn't taking it."

"Am I supposed to believe every information some third grade detective is feeding me?" Her eyebrows raising in a perfect arch, she gave Beth a mocking once-over. "Especially of an issue of great importance?"