Chapter 20 (Part 3 ~ ONC #14)

Constantino pulled my arm, dragging me towards the opening that had been formed. The guards were close; it was down to the last few seconds. As we plunged into the gate, Constantino grabbed the box and key, shutting the circle behind us.

It felt like I was falling a great distance, delving deep into the cold winds of a frozen land. My body shuddered when I hit the snow. A second later, Constantino thumped down beside me. He groaned as he struggled to get up. Me? I stared at the sky above me. It was a pale blue, the kind of blue that could send a shiver down a spine. That was not possible of course, not when I was laying in several inches of snow.

Constantino moved into sight, and I giggled. Snow covered him, making him look like an odd snowman.

"Yes, thank you." He grumbled, flicking it away.

He helped me sit up and then sat down beside me.

"Well, we made it."

"Yeah, wonder what the guards and those people on the road thought about it."

"It's going to cause problems."

I nodded. It was guaranteed that they would try and figure it out, then try to make it work again. If Nelson were alive, he'd be all over it. He'd be clambering to get there, just to be a part of it. Even if they made him the assistant to the leading professor, he'd be happy. A part of me believed that he could be put onto cleaning duties and he'd still be smiling. All he wanted was to be a part of something big.

"Right, let's get going. It's a long walk to the nearest town, and by the look of that sky, I'd say that our time outside is almost over."

"Will we make it in time?"

"I hope so."

Constantino helped me up to my feet, then put the box and key away. With our bags in hand, we made our way to the nearby dirt track.

"I am seriously cold."

"I know, but after a century of being dead, I can be forgiven for not remembering what season it is here, right?"

"Sure. Still doesn't solve my issues."

"Our walk to town will warm you up."

I rolled my eyes and said nothing more about it.

"You know, I just realised that I only know your first name. Do you have a surname?"

"We have house names. I am Constantino of House Auberon. If you accept a life with me, then you will be known as Lucy of House Auberon."

"Why wouldn't I accept it?"

Constantino shrugged as he looked at me.