Chapter 7 (Part 3 ~ ONC #1)

I was stunned.

"You're a king?"

Constantino looked at me. With a huff, I sat down at the table and searched images of kings. Turning the laptop, I showed him a picture of a man with a crown, looking rather regal.

"Is this what you're trying to tell me?"

Slowly he nodded.

"Why did they try to kill you? Did someone want the throne?"

Offering nothing about the subject, Constantino lifted his foot and gestured to his shoe, telling me something in his language. Why was this more important than his past? I could not understand why he wouldn't want to return and make people pay for what has happened. It occurred to me that I was missing something important here.

I looked at the shoe that was misshapen at the tip then glanced at the other one that was still on the floor. The toenails had to be seriously strong because they'd broken through the leather.

"Oh, that's just wrong." I groaned. "I hope you're not expecting me to cut your toenails too. Ugh."

"Luuu-ceee."

"You are just nasty; cut your own damned nails."

His foot returned to the floor, and Constantino gave me an insistent look, gesturing to his feet again.

"I don't own a grinder or a chainsaw because seriously, that's what you're going to need."

Getting up from the table, I searched through my utility drawer and found a pair of nail clippers and a file. Putting them on the table, I pointed to him.

"You do it."

Constantino picked up the clippers and inspected them. I looked at his fingernails that appeared to have been snapped off. They had jagged edges but were still a little too long. He frowned as he held the clippers and they did nothing.

"You have to turn the bar over."

He dumped them on the table and flicked his hand in disgust, babbling something at me.

"Fine." I hissed. "But you're having a shower first. I am not touching toes that have not been cleaned in God only knows how long."

Pushing Constantino up the corridor, I opened the door to the bathroom and gestured to the shower.

"Do you know what that is?"

He said something and pointed to the bath.

"Okay, a bath it is."

I put the plug in and turned the water on. Finding Constantino a towel, I put it on the vanity and turned to see that he was still standing there.