Bundles of Joy (Practice Writing)

ابدأ من البداية

Tom looked over to where Matt and Tord were standing. The two of them chatting away.
"Really now?"

"Yep." Edd nodded.

"Oh- would you guys like something to drink?"

"You don't have to Tom, you might hurt yourself in the process-"

"I'll be fine." Tom cut him off. "I can manage."

Edd shook his head no.
"I'd rather request Tord. You better sit down."

Tom wanted to argue back but he knew he couldn't.
His friend seemed to know better.

Tom just remembered something. He had a check up that day.

"Tord." Tom called for his lover making Tord look at him.
"I have a check up today."
.
.
.
.
.
They were at the hospital. Tord accompanied Tom into the room while Edd and Matt patiently waited outside. The two decided to come along.

"The baby's health is doing fine." The doctor informed as she flipped through the papers on the clipboard.

"Really? That's great! We-"

"Hold on, Thomas. There's still bad news." The doctor stopped him from speaking further. It pained her to say it, but she'd rather tell them than give false hope.

Tord held Tom's hand in distress. It was a matter of habit for him to do. Tom was used to it. He looked at Tord with a knowing look. As if saying "it's gonna be okay."

The doctor continued.
"Results on your health have not improved. We're very sorry. It may affect the pregnancy in a way."

Tom's face turned pale.
"W-what do you mean??"

Tord had also turned pale, but not as pale as his lover. He massaged Tom's shoulders in a soothing manner to calm the distressed Brit.

"Don't stress, it'll worsen the problem." The doctor told him.

Tom began to breathe deep breaths and slowly calmed down. Yet his mind was still racing.

"To answer your question earlier, I mean it could affect the child's mental health. Problems like autism." She stood up from her desk taking out a few files before placing them into a drawer.

"I'm really sorry."
.
.
.
.
.
There he was again. But instead, he was outside at the back porch, sitting at a bench and looking in the distance.

"Thomas? You out there?" Tord called out for his lover as he looked everywhere for him. Soon, he spotted the male gazing off.

"Tom...?" Tord walked over to his lover and sat beside him; engulfing Tom in a warm embrace.
"What's with the long face?" Tord asked as he ran his hand through Tom's hair. Tom snuggled up to him; tear stains wetting his shirt, but he could care less at the moment.

"I... I-I'm scared..."

"I'm scared too... But like you said, everything will be fine. Right?" Tord soothingly whispered into Tom's ear.

The smaller male's tears were still trickling down his face, but a small smile managed to form.

"I love you..." Tom mumbled out.

"As do I... Remember that, Kay?"

From the distance, Edd and Matt were watching the couple cuddle. It was a bittersweet scene. The two couldn't do anything except look at each other sadly.

A few days had past since their friends arrived.

Tom looked weaker than before.
Because of that, Tord would never leave Tom's side. Even when he was at work, he'd call his lover every hour and ask Edd or Matt about Tom.

Tord was about to leave his workplace. He would go see his lover today. As he stepped foot outside the compound, his phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Tord! We're sending him to the hospital. It's coming!"

Tord wasted no time as he hopped into his car and drove all the way to a familiar white building. He parked and rushed in, careful not to bump into anyone.

He reached the labor room.

He found his two friends waiting outside.

Edd stood up as soon as he saw Tord.
"You came! He's in there. But you'll have to wear a gown and change your shoes."

Tord nodded as he placed the gown over his clothing and walked in, leaving his shoes outside.

There, he found Tom on one of the beds.

"Min kjaere?"

"Tord...?"

He walked over to the side of Tom's bed and held his hand.
"Hi."

Tom smiled, yet his eyes were tearing up from the pain.
"I'm sorry..."

"For what?"

"I-It hurts-!"
.
.
.
.
.
"We have brought news." The same doctor who was in charge of Tom, informed Tord and his friends.

"Would you like to see your girl?"

Tord's face lit up in excitement. It's a girl.
"I would."

The doctor nodded and led all three of them into the nursery.
A glass window separating them from inside.

There, in front of him lay a small chubby female sleeping peacefully. The same hairstyle as his.
Tears began to trail down his face.
There she was.
A small smile crept into his face as he admired his daughter.

Edd walked over to Tord and patted his shoulder.
"She's beautiful. You must be real proud."

Tord nodded. "I am."

Tord turned to face the doctor.
"May I see the mother?"

The doctor said nothing. Instead, she gave him an apologetic look.

...

"I'm sorry."
.
.
.
.
.
"Papa, can we got visit Mama today? Please??"

"Of course." Tord smiled as he carried his daughter in his arms. She giggled at this.

Tord placed her on his shoulders as he walked over to a familiar site; the cemetery.
They walked inside, looking for a certain grave. Alas, they found it.

Tord carefully set his daughter down as she rushed towards the stone with him following from behind.

"Hi Mama... Look what me and Papa brought you..."
She took out a small bouquet of lilies and a drawing she made of him.

Tord sat beside his daughter.
"Hey love, Trisha wanted to bring you gifts." He said as he ruffled his daughter's hair.

"If only you were here with us, you'd be able to see your Bundle of Joy."

Trisha hugged her father for comfort.
Tord placed an arm over her.

"But you know? Both of you were my bundles of joy."