Chapter 18

Word Count: 1268

Sure enough, Thanatos stuck to his promise. He shook me awake early in the morning with both of our bags already packed. At the foot of the bed he had laid out clothes for me to change into before we left.

He had obviously been considerate of the fact we were going to be traveling for most of the day. Throwing on the leggings and grey shirt Thanatos gave me I then leaned against the bathroom wall. I was still extremely tired and my entire body felt weighed down.

I had another nightmare last night.

I decided not to mention it to Thanatos. He seemed really excited about this trip and so was I. We both needed a break and some time away from the Underworld. As soon as he found out about my nightmare he would've called the whole thing off. It wouldn't matter if I did still want to go he would end up confronting his brother, and that's just more stress that neither of us needed at the moment.

I hadn't even realized Thanatos had walked in since my eyes had fallen shut. He always moved so silently, it was easy for him to startle me a lot at first. By now I had just gotten used to it. The only thing that had given him away this time was his small chuckle.

"Tired?" He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into a hug. I smiled as he placed a quick kiss on the top of my head.

I yawned as I wrapped my arms around his neck and hummed. He rubbed small circles in my back and I almost fell asleep just leaning against him. The only reason I didn't was because he continued to talk.

"Did you sleep well last night?" The concern in his voice was clear and I quickly pulled away so that I could reassure him,

"Yeah I slept fine. I'm just not used to being woken up. Once I drink a cup or two off coffee I'll be fine," I told him as I waved him off.

He went back to whatever he was doing before as I slid on my shoes and threw my hair up on top of my head. Looking in the mirror I realized I had gained a little weight since I had first been here. It wasn't in a bad way though, if anything I looked healthier than I had before.

Until I had ended up here I had a bad habit of skipping meals. Sometimes it was due to stress, others simply because I didn't have the time to prepare a meal or eat one. But now Thanatos made sure that I always ate at every meal. Anything I wanted would be quickly cooked up in the kitchen. All I had to do was simply ask for it.

"Are you sure that you're all right?"

"Yes Thanatos, I'm fine. I've just been....thinking a lot lately," I confessed, sighing as I leaned back into him once more.

He rested his head on top of mine as our eyes met in the mirror. "What about?"

"Everything really. About how much my life has changed, about how I've changed, everything seems so different than it did not to long ago and I'm just now noticing it."

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

I smiled, he smiled back. "It's a good thing, I promise."

I turned around and hugged him tightly, hoping to communicate my thanks without having to say it. Our eyes met and we just sat there staring at one another.

His hand came up to my chin and lifted it up as his eyes glanced down to my lips. He leaned in slightly, hovering but not closing the distance. So I did it for him and pressed our lips together. I could feel him smile into the kiss just as I began to pull away.

"Are you ready to go?" He seemed dazed for a second but nodded.

"So how are we gonna get to wherever it is your taking us," I asked as I watched him grab our bags.