Chapter One: Fit To Be King

Derick

        "King?" I let out a hearty laugh in my father’s direction. "I’m not fit to be king! I know nothing of the kingdom or its people, father." He looked as if I were to speak another word his very head would explode off his shoulders. "I shall teach you everything I know after the grand ball, my son. But tonight, we will appoint you heir to the throne in front of God and his people during the opening ceremony."

        Grief washed over my body leaving me weak and helpless. "Father, I do not want to be king! Perhaps you’ll ask your other sons, they’ll jump at the chance to have such great power." I sighed. "You are my oldest son, and I am not asking if you want to be king, I am telling you that you will be the ruler of our Rosebriar." He commanded and I knew better than to challenge my father on such a heavy topic.

        As the day had carried on, I was now adorned in the kingdom’s colors of rose and cerulean. After all my keepers had left I had time to myself to go out into the town and find my friend. I flew with great speed toward the small tavern on the outskirts where she could always be found. "Braylene! My lady?" I called out as I flung the wooden doors open.

        "Ah, my Prince. Braylene is upstairs; shall I go and retrieve her?" Her mother whom was small-figured grinned from ear to ear. "No dear, I’ll go to her. It’s a private matter; I’ll be seeing you tonight at the ceremony, perhaps?" She gave me slight nod and I was on my way.

        I felt as if my feet couldn’t travel fast enough to reach the comfort of a good friend. "Braylene?" I called out with great despair. As if she were unsure, she first stuck her head out of the doorway, "Ah, the noble and charming Prince coming to see a lowly commoner?" She said playfully.

        "He’s asked me to be the heir and become king." I said with no enthusiasm. The light faded from her eyes, "So, this is your last visit I suppose." I could see her eyes filling with tears.

        "Well, yes. I want you and your mother to come stay in the castle when I become king. Your mother can head the kitchen and you can finish your tailoring training." I stated proudly, however she seemed uncomfortable.

        "Look, Derick..." She trailed off, "No, the tavern needs us. I think it’s time you go."

        I felt as if my whole world was crashing down around me and no one could save me.

        I ran my hands through my dark messy hair as I made my way back outside. I couldn’t hear what the frail woman who owned the tavern was saying to me, but I simply nodded and continued walking.

        Before I opened the wooden double doors I took a deep breath, "Tell Braylene goodbye for me."

        My ride home was nearly silent aside from the rhythmic thumps from the wings of my dragon. In a matter of a day’s time I’d lost my freedom, and I’d lost my best friend. The emptiness crept through my whole body before realization hit me; I was going to become king and an entire kingdom would be relying on me.

        I was completely unsure if I could even make it home due to my fear.

        My mother found me in my room shortly after my return, "My son, what’s troubling you?" She asked, draping her arm delicately around me. "Father." I sighed. "He’s getting older Derick; he won’t be able to be king forever." She let out a quiet laugh. "Come and enjoy the ceremony tonight." She stood and I rose after her.

        If there were anyone I didn’t want to disrespect in my life, it would be my mother. Unlike my father, she had an elegant power about her. She could easily overrule the king with just the lifting of her hand.