The Void

Clementine was sitting in a chair outside of the infirmary, a dazed look on her face. Violet sat next to her, holding tight to her limp hand. McGonagall was talking with all the teachers inside the infirmary, going over the situation, deciding Clementine's fate. They had questioned her already, she had answered every question in a monotone voice. Kenny, Katjaa and Duck's body were flooed to St. Mungos. Clementine could still see the murder in Kenny's eyes when he awakened, it took more than one Professor to hold him back from another attack. Clementine rubbed her throat absentmindedly at the thought.

"Are you okay Clem?" Violet asked, realizing what a stupid question it was the second it left her mouth. "I mean... I know you aren't alright... does your neck hurt, it looks bruised..."

"It's fine." Clementine answered, dropping her hand back to her lap, she thought her voice sounded like it was far away or coming from someone else. Had it really just been the day before that she had woken up next to Violet? It felt like it had been a lifetime ago.

Violet sighed and held her hand tighter. She didn't know what she could say or do to snap Clementine out of her own head. She looked lost, Violet stared into her eyes, looking for some semblance of the girl she had fallen for.

All the professors filed out of the infirmary, they each glanced at Clementine as they passed, some sympathetic, others glaring, she acknowledged none of them. McGonagall came out last, her mouth was in a tight line but her eyes looked soft. "Please come with me Ms. Everett." Clementine stood obediently and followed McGonagall, Violet trailing behind. They went down stair cases and through hallways, the castle was hauntingly empty with all the students forced to stay in their common rooms. Their footsteps echoed off the walls as they headed towards the front gates.

Once they arrived at the entrance McGonagall turned to face the two girls. "Ms. Everett, it pains me to do this, but you are of age and until a proper investigation can be undergone, well you... you have to go into the custody of Aurors... you'll be held in Azkaban until you are cleared." she gave Clementine a pained look, Clementine nodded, numb to it all. "I have no doubt that you will be proven innocent."

"Wh-what??" Violet yelled on Clementine's behalf, if Clementine wasn't going to put up a fight then she would, "How can you let this happen, Clementine was attacked, everything she did was out of self-defense. You saw what Duck did to Madam Pomfrey, did you want him to do that to her too?"

"Then we have nothing to worry about, Ms.Everett will be proven innocent in due time and process." McGonagall assured.

The front gates opened. Three Aurors walked in, with a dementor in tow.

McGonagall looked furious, "Those things are not allowed on school premises. I thought they were banned from Azkaban as well??"

"We keep a couple around for special occasions," a brunette woman spoke, "you don't have to worry, we'll take her off your hands and be gone before anyone even knows we were here."

Clementine stepped forward without being asked. As she neared the dementor she was hit with a wave of loneliness and fear so strong and cold that it caused her to double over as if in pain. She yelled in anguish, her worst thoughts and memories plaguing her, every happy thought sucked away, leaving darkness in their place. Violet reached out for her, wanting to comfort her, to cheer her up, give her a reason to smile, but McGonagall held her back. Violet watched as an Auror took Clementine roughly by the arm, forcing her to stand up straight. Violet's heart felt like it was wrenched out of her chest as she saw the look of pure hopelessness on Clementine's face. She had looked lost before yes, but now she looked gone. Previously vacant, staring eyes were now darting around, seeing demons that no one else could, haunted by ghosts of her past.