c h a p t e r e l e v e n

Start from the beginning

She isn't going to let it go unless I tell her.

" The only reason why I'm even a part of those experiments was that the merman created some spiritual connection with me"

She raised her brows.

" What do you mean by that? How do you know?"

" At first, I was the only person he would interact with without putting them into a 'coma'. Then Doctor Shaun took advantage of that and asked me to be apart of the experiment," I started.

Olivia had that expecting look in her eyes as if encouraging me to continue the story.

" I was so confused about why this creature didn't harm me, so I agreed."

She furrowed her dark red brows.

" That is strange. You know one of the girls he put to 'sleep' was Stacey. I talked to her sister and she said that she was in this 'asleep' state. Everything was fine with her health. The doctors themselves were confused to why and how he did it." Olivia explained.

Stacey was a worker at the aquarium. I never talked to her much, but she seemed very kind. She didn't deserve this.

Her sister was the other receptionist, Stella, and Olivia and she became friends.

" I was almost put in a coma by the merman as -"

I was interrupted.

Olivia's mouth dropped.

" What?! And when were you planning on telling me? I'm your best friend, and no one told me about this?!"

Now it was my turn to be surprised.

" What do you mean? You didn't know?"

She shook her head.

Ok... Now I got to explain the whole mess to her.

" The scientists decided to have me participate in the experiment as I said earlier, and it was the first session. The merman started singing, I fell into a 'coma' and woke up with a spiritual connection with him" I finished.

" Wow. You're the only one who woke up after?" Olivia asked.

I nodded.

She let out a harsh long breath and looked at me.

" How does the connection look like?" she asked.

" Dr. Shaun showed me the x-rays of both the creature and me. While he had this blue light all over his body with the heart being the brightest point, I had a very faint one around my heart." I explained.

She was looking at me with a slightly open mouth and wide eyes.

" Do you know why he chose you?"

I looked down and my mouth snarled in cringe.

" No," I started and looked back up to meet her eyes. " Ugh, I don't know what to feel about this! It's a huge mess!".

Olivia's eyes filled with sympathy as they stared into my brown eyes.

" I can't imagine what you are going through right now! I wish I could help." She said.

I sighed.

I wish she could too.

~

I turned on the lights as I dropped my backpack on the wooden floor of my house.

Light enveloped the whole room and I winced as my eyes started to adjust to my surroundings.