6. playground

I lay away on my bed not wanting to have another one of my dreams. They really depress me since it always him who I dream of.

And I haven't seen him in so long. Its been weeks since I've seen 'the joker'. Most people never ever want to encounter him but I would do anything to just go next door and rest my eyes on his.

They calm me down like nothing else. They also are capable of speeding up my heart and extract the truth.

I know it really is that easy but how would I explain it away. 'Oh hey joker I came over to admire your mangled face' yeah never in a million years.

I know I could pretend to need medical supplies or something but he's always on the ball with things like supplies. He sends over one of the guys who takes inventory on my equipment. If I am running low he sends out goons to rob a hospital or abduct a passing ambulance.

I've tried to justify my attraction to someone who has actually laid hands on me and set a building that I was in on fire. I can't come up with an explanation, it's just that in my dreams I see this whole other side to him.

And yes I'm fully aware their just dreams but he's shown some thing toward me.

When he came to check up on me that one day. It might not mean anything but to me it meant the world. Maybe I'm just overthinking it.

I think it might be because of how he has changed the coarse of my life entirely .

I was a damned mortician just like everyone wanted me to be. That's why I was born. To be some fucking diploma on my parents wall. That's the only reason they had kids, to make trophies out of them and show us off to the other elite.

Well look at me now mom, I'm stitching up criminals and keeping the bad guys on the streets. Not only that, I have a crazy obsession with the same clown who fucking robbed your house and rocked your perfect fucking world.

Holy shit I'm losing my mind.

Fuck it, I need a drink.

I spread open my arms and my dress becomes a second skin with this strong wind.

I'm on my house's roof, drunk as shit.

Okay now do what you came here to do Devon.

I look down at the ground that awaits me. It's all covered in grass, I won't die from this. Fuck it though I want to visit the sky tonight.

With a running start I launch myself off of the two story house and meet the ground sooner than expected.

My vision cuts to black but I'm still conscious. Breathless but conscious.

When I managed to get back my vision he was above me with fireworks shooting from behind him. My world is laughing, bright, and spinning at this moment.

"So... are you okay?" He asks me with suppressed worry.

"Think so." I felt for any internal injuries but i was A-okay.

"You wanna go somewhere?"

"Yes." He helps me up and I give him the keys to my car.

Big mistake. He thinks going through red lights is a big game. He counts how many cars he causes to crash and tries to double it at the next intersection.

Can I really complain though? This is the most alive i have ever been. You should've seen the fire in his eyes.

"Alright open your eyes." An old amusement park was weakly shinning, its dancing lights bringing the place to life. The music was distorted by the old speakers and the Ferris wheel would stall from time to time.