Part 2 | Bitter Memory

Everything erupted into utter chaos. People began to scream in terror as the tentacles coming from the person's back shot out and grabbed onto the ones who tried to flee. Cross stood and stared at them, eyes locked on the crown atop their head. 

He knew at once who this was...

Prince Nightmare.

He was jarred from his thoughts when he was yanked back inside with a sharp tug to his over-shirt sleeve coming from the adviser, Dream following close behind. "Who on earth was that?" The smaller of the three asked, his blue eyes wide with fear and confusion.

"I'm not sure..." Dream muttered, hugging himself. "But he-"

"It's Prince Nightmare," Cross spoke up, the smaller two looked up at him with wide eyes. "You can tell because of the crown, and he's wearing that outfit. "

"Well, if it's my brother, we should go welcome him!" The prince skirted past Cross, despite the guard's shout of protest, and down the stairs, Blue in hot pursuit trying to stop him from going further. He had reached the middle of the ballroom when the doors to the courtyard slammed open, the wood splintering with the force.

Cross could only stand and watch as Prince Nightmare stepped forward, tentacles twisting together behind him. The two princes stood about fifteen feet apart from each other, just staring. Nightmare's mouth turned up into a grin as he held out his arms as if to welcome his brother into a friendly hug. The entire scene would have been heartwarming if it weren't for the look in his eyes and the way his tentacles were poised, as if ready to attack.

Dream started forward, oblivious to what would happen if he accepted his brother's embrace. Two things happened at the same time. Two tentacles shot forward towards Dream, and Blue shouted a warning, allowing the prince to realise what was happening and stumble backwards, dodging the attack.

Nightmare let out a low chuckle, his grin turning to a smirk. "Clever little Dream. You always were considered the better of us~" The smaller prince's eyes widened in terror and confusion, his hands shaking as he backed up. "But, whatever, right? Anyway, there was something I promised myself I'd do when I saw you again, brother."

"W-What?" Dream spoke in a shaky voice, staring back at the thing he used to call his brother.

"Hmm... Let's see... Oh, that's right! I promised to kill you." His grin widened to a psychotic one, his tentacles shooting out again, one aiming straight for the younger prince's chest, where his soul was. Blue dragged him out of the way, the tentacle narrowly scraping the prince's shoulder. 

Nightmare poised to attack again, but a shout from above interrupted him, making him look up in alarm.

"THE CAVALRY HAS ARRIVED! Error, throw me a cord!" A skeleton was perched on a railing for the upper floor. He had a grin on his face, a long tan scarf, and a giant paintbrush was in his left hand. Across the room, another skeleton emerged. Cross recognised the black-boned skeleton from school six years ago. He raised a hand and strings shot out, twisting together to form a rope that looped around one of the rafters. 

"Thanks, Buddy!" The other thanked him and grabbed on, swinging down to where the three were. He grabbed onto Dream with his arm, and managed to get Blue grabbed onto his brush, who he then threw at Error while swinging back up to the other side. "Blueberry coming at you, Glitchy!"

"Gah! Ink warn me before you- Oop-" Error's other hand shot out and strings grabbed the adviser, yanking him to safety beside him.

"What about Cross?!" Dream squeaked after being set down.

Ink looked down. "Who- OH."

The small prince's exclamation drew attention to Cross, who was still at the base of the stairs, stunned. Nightmare locked his gaze on him, a tentacle shooting out towards the guard before he could react, Dream letting out a shriek of panic. 

It hit him square in the jaw with a crack, knocking him out cold.