No Fate But My Own: Chapters 36-42

Chapter 36

Several weeks had passed since the inaugural gala and things had passed by in a whirlwind of activity and progress. Things between her and Lauren were going well.

The ultrasound had shown the twins were flourishing and growing with wondrous speed. Lauren's doctor had also marvelled at the blondes renewed health. The doctor had pronounced that besides the usual problems that could crop up during childbirth. She believed that Lauren was now in peak physical health and no longer feared that she wouldn't be strong enough to survive the birth.

Bo had felt an enormous weight lift when she had heard those words. It had been incredibly difficult to watch Lauren deteriorate before her eyes and she had beaten herself up that she hadn't confided in Trick about Lauren's condition. She could have saved her so much pain and distress if they had gotten the ancestral bracelets as soon as they had gotten back from Europe.

Lauren had tried to comfort her and told her that everything was fine now and that she needed to stop feeling such guilt. Lauren for her part, was aglow and angelic in her pregnant beauty. Despite Bo requesting that Lauren still rest and continue her reduced hours at work the blonde had given her a gentle kiss and told her that she had never felt better in her entire life and that she would rest if she needed to. So here Bo was sitting in the newly refurbished Dal waiting impatiently for her workaholic girlfriend to arrive.

The Morrigan sighed impatiently as she sat across from a very distracted Bo. The Ash sat beside the Morrigan, being the poster boy for infinite patience as usual. He drove her crazy, but that didn't diminish the love she felt for her childhood friend. She set her dark eyes on the succubus who was once again checking her phone before glancing at the entrance of the way station.

"Oh for goodness sake. Dr. Lewis will get here when she gets here. Bruce is with her and will bring her as soon as she is done with whatever sciency thing that has had her in the lab all week. So can we please get back to business. I have better things to do than spend the entire night hanging out with you."

"I just miss her, okay! You have probably spent more time with her than I have this week," she responds snidely.

Evony laughed. "Jealous?" She said, baiting the succubus.

"Evony, please," Samual said with a sigh. "I know you get much enjoyment from tormenting Bo but now isn't the time. There is still much work to be done. The news of what we have accomplished has spread quickly and more and more dignitaries from abroad are coming across our borders. Trick spends most of his time signing people in to the book than serving drinks these days. Though I still think there is something more fitting that The Blood King should be doing than running this way station."

"He is happy. He says this is his home and he is more than content with running The Dal." Bo looked up and smiled in her grandfather's direction. "He also said that he doesn't want to get bogged down in too much fae politics. That it's time for him to work on his family. Says he will leave the fae populous in our safe hands."

"He is very excited to be a great grandfather," The Ash responds with a chuckle. "He and Aoife seem to be getting along better too."

"Yeah, I think the pregnancy has brought them together," Bo responded with a smile.

"If I now have to sit here and listen to all this sentimental family crap, I'm going to need another drink! Excuse me." Evony slid out of the booth and sits at the bar beside Kenzi.

"I'm not sure if she's coming back," Bo said laughing.

"No, you are probably right. Evony doesn't like going over the paperwork being a fae leader requires." Bo watched as Samual turned to look over at his lover. Wow, he really loves her, Bo thinks as she see's The Ash's aura shine brightly as he looks at the dark fae leader.