Prologue: The Letter

Dear Kids, 

                       I know we haven't met in person but am your grandfather on your mother's side, I didn't approve of the man she was marrying because I taught he wasn't good enough for her but how wrong can I be. As soon as your mother heard the word that I didn't like your father the same day she left home and I didn't see her again. Of course, I sent out persons to find her but it took a while and by that time your mother was happily married and had you, Charlie.

I didn't want to intervene in her life so I let her be, oh how I longed to apologize to your mother and father and bring her home but I know that wasn't the case anyone. I sent money over the years to her as a way of making up for my wrongdoings but she always sends it back. I wrote letters to her asking to see you both but she didn't allow me to. But what she didn't know is that I hear all about you too from the persons I hire.

When I heard about her death I was devasted I tried to reach out to your father but I heard he turned to alcohol as a way of solving his problems. I came to took you guys away from that life when you were smaller but your father called the sheriff on me saying that I came to kidnap you to. I was told to leave and to never return or else I'll end up in jail. 

I took on your mother's death pretty hard and became terminally ill. So if your reading this letter am most likely dead. Am sorry kids for not trying harder to earn your mothers forgiveness and be a part of your lives. Charlie, you're the man of the house now and you have to take care of your sister the best way you can. I know your parents didn't want to take anything from me but I left you and Ella everything I have, please please take it.

I left you my ranch in Blue Mountain, Arizona. Its the biggest in that area so you have your work cut out for you. I paid the ranch hands a year in advance so you'll have time to think about inheriting it. If not then send a letter to my foreman Petter so he'll take over. I left a joint bank account for you and Ella so you can access that anytime in Blue Mountain. 

I wish I had time to meet both of you in person and I regret that wholeheartedly. Charlie and Ella, I hope the both of you have a wonderful life and I'll be looking out for you guys from up above.

                                                                                                                                                           Henry Statham.