The Can

Nariko's POV

"Bye!" I called to my friends as I left the campus. Finally I was allowed to walk home by myself. Hohaku got a bit paranoid, but I don't blame her. 

"Good afternoon." The adults said as I passed by.

"Hi, Nariko!" The cross country team shouted as they ran by me. This was lots of fun. 

I kept going toward home, then something hit my ankle. I looked down to see a shiny, unwrapped can with string coming out the bottom. 

Adrien's POV

"Have you seen your cousin?" Nathalie asked me.

"No. Not since this morning." I replied, "Why?"

Nathalie left the room and continued to search. Did Arata try to run away? He must've been successful. I wanted to call him, but he had told me he didn't have a phone. Make it out of here, cousin. You can do it.

Nariko's POV

I picked the can up, watching the string move like there was someone on the other end. Was this a string phone?

"Hello?" I said into it, not expecting an answer. 

"Hi." Someone replied from the other end. I was surprised by this.

"Who are you?" I asked the person on the other end. 

"I'm Arata. Now. Tell me your name." 

I thought about it for a moment. I could put the can down and run, or continue talking to him. "My name's Nariko. Why are you using a string phone?" 

"Because. I'm not really allowed to show my face out in public. And I'm seriously sick of talking to  my cousin."

"Why aren't you allowed out?"

"Because. They won't have anyone to experiment on."

"Experiment? What do you mean?"

"It's really complicated."

I didn't know how to reply. "Um... How old are you?"

"Twelve. How about you?"

"I'm eleven." 

"How long is this string?"

"I think I made it almost a mile long."

I was impressed. Before I could say anything I heard him shout.

"I have to go now! I've been caught!"

"Will we be able to talk again soon?" I asked.

"Yeah." 

"You promise!"

"Promise."

Arata pulled the can back to where he was.

As I continued my stroll, I thought about whether I should tell the others or not. Then I made up my mind. I'd get too many questions from the others if I said anything.

Arata's POV

"You disobeyed me and left." The man said. The one who took part in the experiments. He had been there when I was taken to the lab. He was a monster.

"I know." I replied. Deep down I was fearing for my life behind my fake personality. "And I regret nothing." 

The monster stomped his foot. "I hope you realize your actions have consequences!"

"I hope YOU realize no consequence could be as bad as what I've had to endure the past few years."

He grinned and his hand slid across my face in a quick motion. "I never said you'd suffer the consequences. Just remember I am still in control of their chips. With a press of a button, I can change everything for them."

No. No. No. If only I had the power to stop him. But all I could do was bow my head while smiling. I'm sorry. The moment I get the chance to save you, I will, my love.