Chapter 2 - Racing Against the Clouds

Almost everything in their mechanic shop was from the junkyard. Jessa's father found their old gramovision from the top of the pile. He fixed the old thing up when Jessa was only two. The signal was always weak, but it was good enough for them to watch the race. Jessa used to complain about unable to hear the announcer clearly. But her father would tell her, "That was a good thing."

It wasn't like they weren't able to afford new appliances. It was just that her father thought the world was too wasteful. That, and he liked the challenge of fixing the impossible.

"Ryder...?"

Jessa got up early today to check on her new chimera friend. She peeked into the shop from the staircase above. Ryder wasn't by the fireplace. She found Ryder sleeping on top of her father's belly.

Her father had been sleeping next to his working desk for the last few months now. He needed to burn the midnight oil to keep up with his clients' demands. Seeing Ryder fitting in so well, Jessa could not help but to chuckle a little. She pulled a blanket over Ryder and her father and turned on the gramovision. She made sure she didn't sit too close, so her father wouldn't yell at her. But as soon as the Western Royal Cup began, it was impossible for her not to glue her eyes closer to the gramovision:

"And now we see Princess Verlassen making her way to the starting blocks," says the announcer. "She's carrying the ceremonial Victory Flag. All the riders are here representing their countries, hoping to take home that lustrous flag! But the moon is on our side this year! Remember, this is the year of the Pegasus!"

Princess Verlassen parades her way to the front of the line. It's like this lane is her own private catwalk. At least she is dressed appropriately for her age, unlike some of the grid ladies on the side. The princess stops and waves to her family in the upper box.

Her older sister, Princess Versto, is too busy reading her elemental exam books. The younger sister, Princess Zertru, is too busy chasing the magical butterflies Princess Versto cast out. Queen Aria proudly holds her baby boy from the Ivory Tower, displaying him like a newly bought accessory. Where is the king? He is most likely back in the Green Castle, not participating in what he calls a "barbarian sport."

Jessa didn't understand why Princess Verlassen was walking funny like that. Couldn't she just walk in a straight line, like a normal person? Or run, so the race could start sooner. The images in the gramovision started to scramble, and the announcer's voice faded in and out. Jessa slapped the big box a few times, and the pictures cleared up momentarily:

"All twelve riders are in place! Everyone made the qualification time yesterday! Tension is high! Who is going to come out on top?!" says the announcer.

Princess Verlassen blows a kiss to the captain of the Ivory Wings. The captain, Rand Ironwood, pays no attention to the princess. His attention is fully on the Victory Flag, just like every rider on the starting lane.

The princess drops the flag! And they are off!

The red emperor dragon zooms by the princess and heads towards the ledge! It drops off the cliff and soars into the clouds. The rest of the riders and their beasts chase behind the long dragon's tail. Since all the beasts in the Prime League can fly, the tracks on the ground are mainly just for decoration.

Behind the red dragon are Dark Clouds' zmiy and zmaj dragons. They have been blocking the emperor dragon's opponents for the last four seasons, but somehow the griffin and the hippogriff are able to swing around, easily claiming second and third on the first lap!

Qing-Long's second dragon, the noble dragon, sees its leader is being challenged. It tries to coast through the winged dragons to help. But the zmiy dragon isn't letting it through. Is the rumor true? Is the dragon alliance truly broken?