Chapter 4

Author's POV:

049 approached Y/n's door once again briskly, he knocked, halted, then entered her bedroom.

Y/n was perched on her bed, hugging her knees and gazing out the window with a tired expression.

"Y/n."

The doctor's voice caught her attention suddenly. She turned her head towards his direction and gripped onto her knees tighter, "Yeah?"

He tapped his finger against the door frame and huffed lightly, "Dinner's ready. I wasn't entirely sure on what you like to feast on, so I made-" Y/n interrupted suddenly, "I'm not hungry."

She looked away nervously and held her breath, feeling that same horrific temperature build up within her again. 049 sighed lightly, closing his eyes and stepping into the room, shutting the door behind him, "My dear, you must eat something, you wouldn't want to starve now would you?" Y/n didn't reply, she avoided his rhetorical question and stayed silent, she also didn't want him touching her for another check up.

049 approached Y/n slowly, he sat on the end of the bed. Y/n kept looking away with closed eyes. As she felt the bed shift, her attention suddenly drew itself over to him. The doctor placed his hands into his lap and huffed, "I'm guessing you're quite homesick?" She blinked and looked him in the eye, shaking her head by the slightest, her temperature rising by the second. The doctor immediately sensed there was something wrong. He leaned in slowly, trying to not startle the young girl, and placed a gloved hand onto her hot forehead. Y/n flinched and fell back onto the bed, her head hitting the pillow as she groaned in agony. Her head thumped with a violent headache as she closed her eyes, turning away from 049 onto her side and pulling her coat over her head.

049 observed her weakness. He could sense a disease within her. His eyebrows suddenly furrowed beneath his mask.

Y/n opened her mouth and began letting out heavy, shaky breaths, like the night before 049 picked her up. He already knew that she was suffering with another temperature. He rose from the bed and slowly removed her coat from over her head, hanging it up by the door. 049 then opened the door, leaving it open and making his way over to the bathroom. He retrieved a bowl from beneath the sink and ran the cold water, filling up the bowl and grabbing a single rag from the cupboard. 049 slowly dropped the rag into the water, carrying the bowl back into Y/n's room. He placed the bowl down next to the bed, turning back to Y/n.

He examined Y/n, her whole body seemed to be pale but with a terrible temperature.

The doctor cleared his throat and took off her socks carefully, placing them onto the floor, he then unbuttoned her pants and pulled them off slowly, folding them up neatly and placing them with her socks. He lifted her up effortlessly and pulled open the bedcovers, slowly helping her down under the covers. His gloved hands tucked her in gently and reached for the wet rag, ringing it from the soaked water and folding it up then placing it onto her forehead slowly.

Y/n let out a small whimper, inhaling sharply before exhaling very quietly. 049 leaned over the bed slowly and drew the curtains to a close, stepping back and heading for the door as quietly as he could.

~TimeSkip~

Hours passed and time seemed to drag on endlessly, the ticking of the clock hung up within the living room continued like a repetitive song, only the same note could be heard. As the clock ticked by, the night grew more and more quiet. A sudden clang cut through the dullness of the air, signaling that another hour had yet passed by. The house remained still and untouched, human life restricted from movement throughout the night, like a deadly curfew that would slit your throat if you decided to pry away from your own covers. The walls and floors creaked and moaned, as if it the cosy home would collapse at any given moment. The soft rays of the moonlight enlightened itself by spreading across the kitchen floor and halting just by the open living room, softly outlining the beautiful cracks that had formed over time on the old, wooden floor.

A slow creak corrupted from down the hall. 049 kept his eyes shut as his chest rose with every breath he took.

"Feeling better I assume?"

Y/n froze on the spot and gripped onto the zip of her coat. She scuffed her shoes against the wooden floor nervously and looked up to where the voice came from. Her eyes rested on a very dark silhouette sat firmly on the couch. That familiar outline of a long beak shifted to face Y/n. She blinked and curled her toes, the only source of light in the room was the magnificent moonlight beaming through the kitchen window with such grace. Y/n cleared her throat and stepped forwards, "Thanks." She pushes out of her lips solemnly.

049 knew straight away what she thanked him for. After all, being a doctor and aiding his patients from a disease was his job.

"Why are you awake?" He asked with a hint of concern.

Y/n brought her hands together and fiddled around with her fingers nervously. Every few seconds she would urge herself to just speak up, but, the darkness intimidated Y/n, especially when someone so terrifying sat upon it, "I can't sleep. I want some fresh air."

Silence yet again pondered around the quiet atmosphere, Y/n dreaded that 049 would scold her for wanting to step outside into the air so late at night.

"Mind if I tag along?"

Y/n tensed her shoulders suddenly, averting her gaze from the masked doctor, "Not at all."

Painful silence and seconds passed before movement erupted from the darkness. Y/n could just about spot the figure that shifted about so gracefully. He approached the front door and turned the handle, pulling it open as a cold draft swiftly made itself inside the warm home, making Y/n's hair blow back in waves slightly, "After you." The doctor spoke in a low tone.

Y/n swallowed her fear and took in a deep breath, she automatically moved her legs and found herself outside in the cold after giving a timid thanks.

049 stepped out behind her and pulled the door to a close.