Chapter 19

Natalie's P.O.V

The drive was long, and it drug on and on. No matter how close I was getting, it still felt like I was 500 miles away. By the time I pulled into my parents' long drive way, I was on the verge of tears. I had no idea what I would walk into, I had no idea how he would be, or if he would even feel like talking to me. Once I parked the car, I quickly made my way to the door, not even bothering to knock. Instead, I picked up the key to the house that was always taped under the decorative rock that sat beside the front door. I slid the key inside the door, and briskly opened it.

As I stepped into the house, I noticed that the whole atmosphere had changed. The whole house had a sad feeling to it, almost like it was in mourning. The house was silent, the sound of the living room t.v which was normal, you couldn't even hear. At this point, I knew that something was terribly wrong, and I was really worried. I walked through the house, and finally someone noticed my presence. Layne came walking down the stairs, with a huge and sad frown on his face. "Nat, your here, I didn't think you were coming today?" Layne stated more as a question.

"It was a last minute decision, what can you expect?" I replied, shortly and then regretted saying it like that. "I'm sorry, Layne, I just can't believe it." I added as I felt tears form in my eyes.

"It's okay, Nat, I totally understand." Layne replied with a reassuring smile. "You should go see him though, he has been in and out all day." Layne then added.

"Okay, I'll see you later, Layne." I stated, as I made my way up the stairs and towards my parents' bedroom.

When I reached the bedroom door, I lightly knocked and waited for the approval to come in, before I did. My Mother's voice came from the other side of the door, almost like a weak mumble. "Come in." I made out as what my mom said.

I obliged and walked in. My dad laid on the bed, his body had lost most of it's color and he looked gray and frail. "Hey Daddy." I stated as I made my way over and sat in the chair beside his side of the bed.

"Natty?" He asked with a hint of a smile.

"It's me dad." I stated giving him my best attempt at a smile.

"I'm so glad your here, Natty." My dad said in a weak voice, and with that statement I busted into tears. I had never seen my dad like this, and it was sad to see this man that was usually full of life, in a bed laying weak and sick, and most likely on the verge of death.

"I'm glad I'm here too." I said as the tears still fell. "Has Brock been here?" I added asking my mom.

"Actually he hasn't been here, his flight to Fort Myers takes off at 8 tonight, and he has been packing all day." My mom replied with a weak smile.

"You're kidding right?" I asked in anger.

"No, Natalie I am not." My mom stated with a frown.

"Excuse me for a moment." I said as I stepped out of my parents' bedroom, and went to call Brock.

I furiously dialed the number, and clicked the call button. The phone rang forever, and then went to voice mail. Brock always answered my phone calls, so this was very weird. So, I quickly sent him a text, and called him again. This time apparently instead of avoiding me, he answered the phone. "Hey, Sis." Brock said with a happy tone.

"Why didn't you answer my phone call the first time?" I asked furiously. "Something could have been seriously wrong, and you didn't answer." I added.

"I was in the bathroom." Brock replied, most likely getting mad at me.

"Sure....." I said trailing off.

"What do you want, Natalie?" Brock asked in an angry tone.

"I want you in Cape Cod right now." I replied sternly.

"I have to leave for spring training at 8." Brock said with a matter of fact tone to his voice.

"I don't give a shit, you need to see dad." I said anger laced into my statement.

"I don't have time." Brock stated, angry himself.

"You don't have time for your own father?" I asked.

"Natalie, don't question my motives." Brock replied still angry.

"If I don't see you in an hour, I will fly to Fort Myers tonight and drag you by your balls back to Cape Cod." I said, and with that statement I hung up the phone.

After talking to Brock, I made my way back upstairs, and into my parents' bedroom. My mom confronted me as soon as I stepped into the room. "Natalie, you shouldn't have been so hard on him." My mom stated with a frown.

"I know, but he needs to be here." I replied.

"Nat, it is Brock's decision and if he doesn't come it is his responsibility." My mom said with a weak smile.

"I hate to change the subject, but I need to tell you and dad something." I said with a small smile.

"What is it?" My mom asked with a confused look upon her face.

"Chris and I are getting married, and I am 6 weeks pregnant with twins." I said looking down at my feet, slightly embarrassed.

"Oh my, that's great!" My mom said whilst jumping out of her seat and giving me a hug. That is the first hug my mother has given me, since I was 12 years old.

About an hour and a half later, there was a knock on the door downstairs. I quickly made my way down the stairs to open the door, when I opened the door, I was surprised to see not only Brock, but Chris was with him. "I'm sorry, Brock, I shouldn't have yelled at you." I stated with a weak smile.

"It's okay, Nat, I totally understand." Brock said with a reassuring smile.

As Brock walked past me and up the stairs, I looked at Chris with an angry frown. I was surprised that he actually went against my word, and came back anyway. "What are you doing here?" I asked with a frown.

"I came here, because I felt obligated to, and besides you're my fiance, and that is your dad." Chris said whilst engulfing me in a hug.

Now that everyone was here I felt content, and not as stressed out. But, little did I know, that I would become more stressed than I ever was in the next 24 hours.