20 - Fire

Chapter 20
(short chapter ahead)

“They died in a fire.” You gasped quietly.

“Oh, I’m so sorry, Whitney. I didn’t know.”

“It’s okay. I still have my little sister, Akiko. I call her Aki, though.” He sighed and patted your head gently, like he was petting a delicate rabbit. “I’ve grown used to it. The pitiful looks from strangers, the worry from people I don’t know… I don’t want people to keep apologizing for something they didn’t do.”

You sighed and nodded, not wanting to apologize for apologizing again. He chuckled lightly.

“But no worries, YN. This isn’t your fault. And it isn’t mine. The fire started in our house by accident. A new maid left the stove on overnight and killed my siblings. My mother, father, Akiko, and I made it out alive. The others weren’t so lucky…”

There was a break of silence. It was deafening and cold.

“I was outside with Akiko when the house caught fire. We were looking at the stars.” Whitney turned his head to the sky, the same sad smile returning to his face. “And so I find comfort in the abyss above.” He looked down at you again. “You know?”

“Y-Yeah…” His poetic words caught you off guard. You were mesmerized by his beautiful voice and alluring feel. His lavender eyes flashed to your lips, an unreadable expression on his face. He leaned closer until you could feel his breath on your lips. He tasted like cinnamon.

“Can… can I kiss you?” he asked hesitantly.

“B-But…. But I’m m-marrying your cousin soon, and I-” He chuckled quietly and caressed your cheek lovingly. He was like one of those anime boys you had watched before. The kind you couldn’t help but falling in love with.

“But you don’t love him. I can tell. As much as you’ll be married, you won’t be tied down like that...right?” Without thinking, you nodded. Yeah, marrying Angel meant nothing really. Like you had heard, this was a business deal. This had nothing to do with your marital status. Once you were married, you’d still technically be single.

You weren’t an idiot. And you weren’t going to lie to yourself like that. You closed the space between you and Whitney, his lips meeting yours in a quiet, loving embrace. His arms wrapped around your waist and held you closer, swaying in the moonlight on the patio.

You couldn’t feel the burning glare of your fiance from inside.

*****
Here's a second chapter for the day. forget to vote and comment! Have a nice day!