14 - 2nd Dinner

Chapter 14

You sat at the table, a young man sitting across the table from you. You sat beside Angel. Near you was Mrs. Cosimo, giving you a tired and condescending gaze. Opposite of her was a man with white hair and pale skin. He simply ate like a ravenous beast, ignoring you and the tension building in the room. You assumed he was Mr. Cosimo, Angel’s father.

“So,” said Mrs. Cosimo. “Corneilio, are you sure this is the LN girl who is supposed to marry Angel?” He glanced at you, then back at the pork on his plate.

“I don’t know,” he grumbled. “I haven’t seen the kid in over ten years. And either way, she’s a LN, so it doesn’t matter.” Angel scoffed, as did the other boy. He hadn’t been introduced to you yet.

“This is insane, Father!” exclaimed the boy. “Angel shouldn’t have to marry some girl he’s never met! I thought you said that-”

“Hush now, Caspian,” cooed Mrs. Cosimo. “Don’t argue with your father.”

“Caspian, Cornelius will marry Ms. LN. You do not get a vote in your brother’s marital affairs.” Caspian jumped to his feet, glared at you, and stormed from the room.

“Caspian!” Mrs. Cosimo called after her younger son. She sighed and stood from her spot at the table to follow Caspian. You looked to Mr. Cosimo, who was ignoring the ordeal happening and only focusing on his meal.

You already decided that you did not like Mr. Cornelio Cosimo.

The three of you remaining at the table at your dinner in silence until a maid brought out a large, warm pot of pudding. She served each of you and then left without a word. Mr. Cosimo spoke next.

“So, Ms LN,” he said. “Are you eccentric about your marriage to my son?” You hesitantly nodded, remembering to just play along and pretend everything was okay. “Are you excited about the upcoming ball?” Angel choked on air.

“We’re doing what!?” he screeched.

“We’re throwing a ball, Cornelius. For your soon to be bride, of course.” Angel huffed in his seat.

“Father, must we?” The older man nodded proudly, still scarfing down his meal. “Will… will he be there?” Mr. Cosimo nodded without hesitation, not caring about his son’s tone.

Angel stood up in anger and stormed out of the room. You watched him leave in worry, but did not get up to stop him. You looked to your future father in law, who was helping himself to a second bowl of pudding.

“Mr. Cosimo?” you asked. He grunted to show he was listening, but didn’t look at you. “I really do not think we need a ball or anything.”

“Nonsense, my dear. No need to be humble, either. I understand that your father sent you to live with a less fortunate family member so that you could understand to be humble, but this is your wedding, darling.” You felt your chest tighten.

Right, you thought. I’m not supposed to be me. I’m the other LN girl. In that moment, you wanted nothing more than to go home and smack Kat upside the head and scream at him for getting you in this mess.

“I’m sure you’re wondering who my son is so mad about.” You nodded, snapping out of your daze. “He was speaking of his cousin, Mr. Whitney Aneroga. Those two have been arguing since before they were born.” You leaned closer to listen.

“How so?” He glanced at your untouched pudding.

“Depends. Are you going to be eating that pudding of yours?” You shook your head and slid it to him. He quickly scarfed it down along with his own before reached for a fourth portion. You decided to stop counting.

“So, what about Angel’s cousin?”

“Oh. Right. So, those two have always been at odds. When they were just tykes, they tried to kill each other multiple times. Both ended up in the hospital constantly, and people began asking if my sister and I were abusing our sons.”

“What happened?”

“Cora, Whitney, and her husband moved away to stop the media from spreading rumors we were abusive parents. Now they’re in France, but they shall be coming for the ball and the wedding.” You nodded simply as he pushed the bowls of no pudding away from himself. “Oof… That was a delicious meal. I shall retire now.”

He left, and you stood up to find your way back to your room. Passing through hallways, you found the doorway to your bedroom. To your horror, a figure stood outside the door. His blonde hair covered his ghostly pale face, and his arms were crossed over his shoulders.

Caspian was waiting for you. With a deep breath, you continued approaching. With hope, he would leave you alone. As you reached for the door handle of your room, the younger brother grabbed your wrist and made you gasp in surprise.

*****
CASPIAN! *CASP* (get it? That was a really bad pun on his name) Anyway! Thanks for reading! Be sure to vote and comment! Have a nice day, y'all!