Year six

As they were told, Hermione and Severus arrived two days early at Hogwarts. They were greeted at the main entrance to the castle by Minerva who brought Hermione into a hug.

"How are you Kitten?"

"I'm good Mom."

Minerva smiled. "What happened? You're glowing."

Hermione smiled widely. "We'll have a girls talk later."

"Sounds good to me."

Hermione nodded and hugged her mother again. "I missed you," she whispered.

"I missed you too," Minerva whispered back and tightened her hold for a moment before letting Hermione go. "What are planning on doing today?"

Hermione shrugged. "I've already gotten everything for the school year and I've not got any school work to do any all that has been checked over by Severus."

Minerva nodded. "That doesn't surprise me."

"Why don't you go and get yourself settled."

Hermione nodded and looked over at Severus. He smiled and kissed her forehead. "Go ahead up to your room. I just want to speak to you mother for a minute. I'll be up soon."

"Okay. I'll wait for you in the living room."

Severus nodded and they briefly kissed before Hermione turned and all but ran up the stairs to the rooms that she shared with her mother.

"You wanted a word?"

Severus nodded. "I'd like to ask Hermione to move in with me in my chambers."

Minerva nodded. "Why are you asking me?"

"Because I would like you permission so I don't go against what you want."

Minerva nodded again. "Then I give you permission to ask her. And thank you for thinking about me Severus."

"You're Hermione's mother and you're always going to be a part of her life. I know she would prefer for us to get along than not."

"You're right Severus."

Less than fifteen minutes later, Hermione was joined in the living room by both Severus and Minerva. She stood and hugged her mother once more. There was something worrying her mother and she was worried about her. It wasn't very often her mother looked constantly worried about anything that didn't pertain to her. Hermione sat back down on the sofa and Severus joined her. She leaned into him and smiled. Her mother sat in her fathers chair by the fire and leaned back, her eyes closed.

"Mom, are you okay?"

"I'm fine honey," she whispered. "I do believe Severus has something to ask you though."

Hermione looked at him. "Severus?"

"We'll talk about it later, darling. I'm going to go and arrange a few things; you stay here and talk to your mother."

"Okay." They kissed briefly before Severus headed out.

Hermione went and sat in front of her mother's chair and rested her hands on her knees. "Speak to me Mom."

Minerva opened her eyes and looked at her daughter, thinking about how much she was going to tell her. Finally, she decided to tell her something, just to try and make herself feel a little better. She hated it when Hermione saw her down. "Albus still hasn't returned from wherever it is that he went. I've been left in charge of the school until he gets back as Natasha is too emotional to hold the wards."

"You shouldn't be holding them either Mom!"

"I am not having any problems at the moment, Hermione."