The Letter

Al's POV:

I was scared, I don't know why but I felt some sort of pain in the back of my head, but it wasn't mine. At first I thought it was Ro but that was impossible, we can only talk to each other not feel the others emotions. You had to have a deep bond- I guess that's why. I've known Ro for a long time but it makes no sense, WCKD didn't make the telepathic link to feel emotions. It was probably paranoia with the Grievers out and in the Glade. I listened to the moaning of the Grievers getting louder as the whirl and clicks seemed louder. The lightest tap against the ground of nearby I could hear, my assassin senses were coming alive as I became more alert. By the time it was two in the morning did I hear the Grievers closer than ever. My instincts were trying to take over but I bit them down, I could do more harm than good if I somehow got out.

I looked over to my right to see Teresa looking around but when her eyes landed on me there was silence. My head throbbed suddenly as I heard screaming, Al! Help! HELP! I shot up in alarm, that was Ro.

Ro? Are you okay? You're making my head hurt! I began pacing but no sound came from my footsteps, I had to be light on my toes.

Al, it hurts! He's hurting me! HELP! He knows! He knows! Al it hurts! I searched my head for answers on who 'he' could be. Who would cause so much pain to a twelve-year-old girl? I felt something on my shoulder and jumped out of my skin as I took out the knife that Ro threw at me and held it to the person's neck. I relaxed as I looked up to see Teresa's scared eyes, putting away the knife I apologized without saying anything aloud. The sound of metal was coming from Homestead and I felt my own worry and sat next to Teresa. My increased hearing helped me find out that wood was being torn up. Right now I had to worry on what was going on here and now, then I could worry about Ro. I could still hear her screaming 'He knows! It hurts! He's hurting me! HELP!' I had to focus but I couldn't, not with her screams in my head.

Something was wrong, I know the end was triggered but something was wrong. That's when I heard screaming, "They'll kill you!" My heart stopped, it was Gally, he was supposed to be dead. "The Grievers will kill you all—one every night till it's over!" Teresa tensed next to me and I put a reassuring hand on her shoulder. Gally was going to get them killed but he was just a messenger. The question was, how did he survive, he wouldn't have lived out there alone, he was a builder. I heard yells, crashes, and then silence. Gally was yelling at Thomas, they sounded like they were having a great reunion. I heard one part of the conversation, "...Don't go back to the real world, Thomas! You don't ... want ... to remember!" What happened out there? Did Ro know? Wait, Ro, her screams stopped. Ro?

I was greeted by silence, what happened to her? If I remember from the memories I was given, she was the strongest person I knew. I think she would be even if I had my memories back, I knew I was worried but something was off with the maze. I needed to get out there again, so did Thomas. I stopped when I heard crying of the boys in the distance. "Is that smoke?" I looked at Teresa to realize that she's right, smoke was in the air which meant something was being burned. I looked over and nodded but heard fast footsteps approaching,  "Teresa?" I jumped at the unfamiliar voice.

Teresa moved up to the window, "Was anybody killed?" she asked, somewhat groggy. I forgot she was nearly half asleep.

  "Were you sleeping?" Thomas asked.

  "I was," she responded. "Until I heard something shred the Homestead to bits. What happened?"

"Yeah! I smell smoke and heard screaming from the Gladers and Gally."  I chimed in.

"I don't know how you could've slept through the sound of all those Grievers out here. But yeah something was set on fire and yeah Gally was there." I could tell he was slightly curious about how I knew Gally.

"You try coming out of a coma sometime. See how you do."

"Cut that junk out." Thomas somewhat snapped, must of been the telepathic link that they had.

"Just tell me what happened." Teresa and I snapped at him together.

Thomas sighed, "You don't know Gally, but he's a psycho kid who ran away. He showed up, jumped on a Griever, and they all took off into the Maze. It was really weird." They're being taken one by one then, that had to be the reason for all the Grievers leaving after Gally left with them.

"I just don't get it. Why would the Grievers have left after getting Gally? He said something about them killing us one a night until we were all dead—he said it at least twice. "

  Teresa put her hands through the bars, rested her forearms against the concrete sill. "Just one a night? Why?"

"I don't know. He also said it had to do with ... trials. Or variables. Something like that." I went stiff as stone, science terms such as trails and variables were used on experiments. I ignored the rest of their conversation when I noticed one thing in the corner, a beetle blade holding a piece of paper. I walked across the Slammer and took the paper from it.

Dear Al,

I hope you realize what's going on with this test. I just hope you realize that you may suffer for her consequences. You should have helped Ro when you had the chance, you can't save her anymore. She's our property, Ro is C1: The Know-It-All and the property of WCKD. Do what we say or she will suffer the consequences.

Sincerely, Janson.

I felt myself become cold and I held back a scream, I had to do what WCKD said or Ro would get hurt. Shuck this klunk!