The Cliff

A few hours later Thomas and Minho came back and I saw Minho went straight to the map room. "Zart...?"

"Go, get answers."

I nodded, "Keep our information quiet, no freaking people out. Don't tell Alby, just Newt." Zart seemed hesitant but nodded and I ran after the two runners. Thomas left part of the door opened and I slipped in. Multiple runners were drawing their parts of the maze. I looked around for Minho and Thomas and spotted them sitting at a table. I sneaked around the runners as much as possible. Unfortunately I ran straight into Minho, I must of not been paying attention.

Minho turned and looked at my smaller form with a glare, "Al, what are you doing in here? Only runners are aloud in here."

I looked at anything but his eyes, "I need to talk to you and Thomas."

"About?"

"The Cliff, I think something is up with it. I talked to Zart about it and we were figuring things out."

"Such as?"

"Look can I just stay here with you and Thomas? We can talk to Newt and Alby together, okay?" He nodded. They were looking for patterns, searching the maps infront of me since I wanted to be helpful. "Min? These patterns match up!" Minho looked up and walked out up.

"You're right, Greenie, what does it mean?"

"I think Ro was on to something, she said the maze was a code. What if the patterns mean something other than just someway out. The patterns could mean something."

"True but how do you notice this stuff?" I pointed at the corner, "They're three weeks apart, you shank you're smart!" I smiled, we need to figure out the code. Looking at Thomas he seemed so lost in thought. "You can always come back and study your butt off after dinner, after we talk to Newt and Alby. Come on." Thomas looked up and put the papers in the trunk, his body language suggested his uneasiness.

I walked beside him on the way out and when we exited the walls closed. Newt and Alby were approaching and they didn't look extremely happy, I was gaining worry. Had Zart said something? "Hey," Minho said. "We were just-"

"Get on with it," Alby interrupted. "Ain't got time to waste. Find anything? Anything?" I looked at Alby uneasily. Minho looked confused at the harsh words that Alby had said.

"Nice to see you, too. Yeah, we did find something, actually. "

Oddly, Alby almost looked disappointed. "Cuz this whole shuck place is fallin' to pieces." He shot Thomas a nasty glare as if it were all his fault. Something was wrong, really wrong. He didn't seem very right, why did he blame Thomas, he never did before.

"What do you mean?" Minho asked. "What else happened?"

Newt answered, nodding toward the Box as he did so. "Bloody supplies didn't come today. Come every week for two years, same time, same day. But not today." I looked over to see the steel doors I saw on the other side.

"Oh, we're shucked for good now," Minho whispered.

"No sun for the plants," Newt said, "no supplies from the bloody Box-yeah, I'd say we're shucked, all right."

I went stiff, a memory rushed at me.

••••••••••••

I looked at the computer screen, it was a fake simulation of the either maze, I had maze A. "A11, take away the sun and supplies, the end is beginning!"

•••••••••••••

I snapped back and looked at them, "That's the point," They all turned to me with surprise. "I just remember a time of my training, it was a simulation. Exactly what's going on here, this is part of what me and Zart were talking about. Remember, my note said the maze is a code and I was talking to the maze to Zart and we figured that this is a test. The first part of the test, I don't know why but it clicks in my head.

Alby had folded his arms, still glaring at the Box as if trying to open the doors with his mind. "Yeah, anyway," Minho continued. "We found something weird."

"The Cliff?" I questioned.

"How do you know that?" Minho said slightly shocked.

"Well, to me it clicked. Just wondering outloud."

Newt raised his eyebrows. "What?"

Minho jumped into explaining, "Must lead to where the ... ya know ... Grievers live," he said when finished.

"The Griever Hole," Thomas added. All three of them looked at him, annoyed, as if he had no right to speak.

"Gotta bloody see that for myself," Newt said. Then murmured, "Hard to believe." Newt turned to me, "This shank is coming too if I go. He's remembering thanks to Ro."

"I don't know what we can do," Minho said. "Maybe we could build something to block off that corridor."

"No way," Newt said. "Shuck things can climb the bloody walls, remember? Nothing we could build would keep them out." Thomas and I shared a dark look, he remembered his night out there and I can only have a figure of a giant creature with bird like wings in an icy corridor.

But a commotion outside the Homestead shifted their attention away from the conversation. A group of Gladers stood at the front door of the house, shouting to be heard over each other. Chuck was in the group, and when he saw Thomas and the others he ran over, a look of excitement spread across his face. "What's going on?" Newt asked.

"She's awake!" Chuck yelled. "The girl's awake!" The girl had answers, answers that I needed. Newt went off to go and talk to the girl while I went with Thomas to the Deadheads. He crouched in the corner, nestled in the ivy, and threw his blanket over himself, head and all. I sat next to him and saw a figure approaching, black hair, pearl white skin and bright blue eyes. It was the girl.