The Bridge

Al POV:

I don't know how I convinced Harriet to let me out here to find Sonya and Soph, both were in the maze, something wasn't right though. I saw an emerald shine on the way to the dead Shade. I knew something wasn't right about that and when I got to where the dead Shade was, it wasn't dead though. Instead there were five Shades with their giant wings looking at me with a hungry gaze. Sonya and Soph weren't here, I could only hope that they were okay. Right now though, right now I'm worried for my life. I turned and ran for it, moving quickly and swiftly. When I heard the Shades stop I turned, the ice was gone. I was surrounded by moss and ivy on the stone walls. I took off my skates and looked infront of me.

Infront of me, was a bridge.

Ro's POV:

I couldn't find Minho or Alby anywhere, I looked around but nothing, not even the Griever was there. I heard the clicking and moans of Grievers coming closer and ran. They kept getting closer, getting louder, it was to the point where I couldn't even hear my own heart hammering in my chest.

My feet beating against the solid ground as the wind whipped around me. Then it hopped out, the biggest shucking Griever I've ever seen. It had to have atleast forty legs, eight stingers, and five heads. To sum it all up it was terrifying as it stood infront of me while I was rooted to my spot on the ground.

All ten of it's eyes were on me, I swear if the thing could make a sly smile, that is what it was doing. What I did next wasn't smart or like me but it was acting on pure emotion. I got up, screamed so loud I thought my lungs would burst open and ran away. I thought through the patterns of the maze while the queen Griever was chasing me. Oh shuck, I was so dead. Newt's gonna kill me for this, bring me back, kill me for worrying him, bring me back and hug the air out of me. Same goes to Minho if he was still alive.

God, I was so freaking shucked.

Newt's POV:

A scream echoed throughout the Glade. Everyone stopped working and looked around, only one person could scream like that. Ro. What happened? Something bad had to have bloody happened for her to scream like that. She's seen more than what we have, what could have done that.

My head was filling with questions and worry, I didn't even notice Tommy coming from behind me. "Newt do you think it's her?"

I spun around toward him, "Of course I do? Who else could have made a scream as loud as that? Who else?" He went silent. I couldn't panic, but I was. I don't know why or how but for some reason I had the need to feel over protective of Ro. I knew she wasn't telling the whole truth but that wasn't the point, she became like my sister in less than two days.

"Newt something's wrong and it's not just Ro." I looked up at Tommy who was pale. He was looking behind me, I turned. There in all his undeadness was Ben. He was alive.

Ro's POV:

Flashes of colors surrounded me, green, blue, and red. The ruby, it shimmered and I followed it. I wasn't focused on my breathing or the weakening of my legs, I was focused on when the Griever behind me stopped suddenly. I heard it stop and seemed ready to run away and as a wall moved to the side, there sat something I haven't seen in the maze, ever. It was a bridge.

Across it was another person, a boy. Giant bat-like creatures hovering away from him while more Grievers sat behind me. He seemed familiar, I studied him, even if it was extremely hard to. Brown hair, brown eyes, tan skin. He was a runner, I could tell that much about him from a distance.

There was something strange about this, was this Al? Was that his maze? I took a step forward, onto the bridge (like the one in the photo above). It swayed under my feet but I balanced myself out and continued forward, the boy followed my lead and eventually we met half way. A ruby infront of me and an emerald infront of him. We looked at each other until the bridge began swaying and swaying. On either side the evil creatures were undoing the bridge slowly but surely.

"We have to get out of here." The boy said and my eyes widened.

"Al?"

He blinked twice, "Ro?"

"Oh my god!" I shook my head. "This reunion will half to wait, we need to figure a way out of here."

"Agreed," He looked over the bridge to the rapids of water below. "We can jump."

"And die. There are rocks under that water, sharp and painful rocks."

"Okay what's the plan then genius?"

"Al, when the bridge falls grab the emerald, understand?"

"What?"

"Do you understand?"

"Yes."

"Good." I watched the monsters from Al's maze pick up the bridge pegs like the Grievers. I lost my balance and so did Al, then we were falling.

Just barely I grabbed the ruby and Al grabbed the emerald only to be teleported away.

The next thing I felt was my body hitting a hard tile floor. My breathing was heavy and I looked to see Al there, a smile on his face. "We're out, was that the way out?"

"It's too easy," I said as Al helped me off the ground as we looked around, we were in what seemed like the middle of a room. "Are we safe?"

"Ro, I don't think anything we do is safe. Not since we arrived in the maze."

"I remember things Al, they aren't the best things either."

"Ava and Janson?"

"How?"

"I just had a feeling." We stood there looking at each other for who knows how long.

All the silence was interrupted by shrill yelling and screaming, "I'm a Crank! Kill me! Kill me I'm a Crank! Kill me!" I yelped and jumped away from the noise which came from the window and clutched onto Al's arm who had put himself between the window and me. The screaming and yelling continued, it was getting loud.

It suddenly stopped and a loud ringing came. It was sweet until it became louder and louder and bitter. "It's too loud!" I screamed but Al couldn't hear me over the ringing.

Then, just like that everything went dark.