08. Never grow up

NEVER GROW UP  

“We love you too, Tay!” Liz screamed at me. Hanging out with Liz and Lizzy was a mission and a half. Like me, Lizzy was more like an outcast at school so she spent most of her free time with us.

I had to differentiate between the two of them so I called my best friend Liz and my adopted sister Lizzy. Lizzy is the girl I met at Monté Casino for those who don’t remember her. After that, we became very close and that also boosted her popularity at school.

Lizzy was only 14 but she had the mind of a 23 year old and her sense of humor was the one thing that marked her out. She had her own terms like “thing”. Say the word “thing” or “thingy” in front of her and she’ll laugh ‘til tomorrow. And her laugh was just too contagious for you to not laugh.

We were at Gold Reef City. It was Friday and the last day of school for Lizzy and she had 3 weeks off school, during which, her parents had allowed her to go on tour with us. We were doing a tour around South Africa, which wasn’t much since we were only travelling on Sunday.

Gold Reef City is an all year round carnival with all the dozen different rides. We had gotten on all the rides accept one. The Anaconda. You can imagine how scary it is. Liz and Lizzy were begging me to go on the Anaconda with them and I was totally refusing. “Come on Tay, it’ll be fun!” Liz said. “Yeah,” Lizzy agreed, “it is my birthday weekend.” She put on her puppy eyes that I couldn’t resist. “Fine!” I said. “Wow! How do you do that Lizzy?” Liz said, “I’ve been trying puppy eyes on Taylor for years! And you do it once and it works!” Lizzy replied, “When you’re good, you’re good!”

The three of us laughed at this. “I hate you two so much,” I say to them. “We love you too, Tay” Liz replies.

After Gold Reef City, Liz, Lizzy and I went shopping for Saturday. What made Saturday special was that it was Lizzy’s birthday. Her 15th birthday and her mom had allowed her to go shopping with us. All the party necessities were already booked and ready for tomorrow and the party would be held at her house.

###

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!” Lizzy screamed as Liz splashed the jar of water in her face. “Happy Birthday!” we screamed. Lizzy looked at us in horror. “You guys are seriously diabolical,” she said, “who makes their own bed wet just to wish someone a happy birthday.” We all laughed at the recently turned 15 year old.

Lizzy slept over at ours (for the millionth time) the night before her big day. We had to wake up early to get the birthday pampered and be able to give her, her presents early. “Oh MY WORD! You are awesome!” she exclaimed when she saw the iPhone 6 that Liz had gotten her. One of the things that I love about Lizzy, is her appreciation for everything. After every one of our trips, even though she says thank you when we drop her off, she’ll always call or text later to say how much she enjoyed the day and thank us again.

We took a few pictures, still in our pajamas- excuse you, before getting dressed and leaving for Lizzy’s house. We told her we’d let her spend some time with her family since we would all be leaving the next day and she wouldn’t be seeing them at all for the next 3 weeks.

###

LATER THAT DAY…

“Where are you guys?” Lizzy shouted on the phone, “there are so many people here and I can’t deal with serving everyone alone!” Liz answered, “We’re on way. Miss Swift is just trying to be late to make a grand entrance.” I didn’t expect that one. “I am not,” I said to the phone, “SOMEONE just thought it would be cool to make me go get fro-yo at the furthest-” I stopped when I realized that Lizzy had hung up ages ago. Liz and I jammed to Kesha’s Your Love Is My Drug until we got there.